Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sunday Reruns - Sentimental Journey

.


Thanks so much to Chari over at Happy to Design for hosting Sunday Favorites.


Sentimental Christmas Favorites
(First posted 12/19/06)

Speaking of Sentimental - - -


These little wooden houses are sentimental to me.

My Uncle Mac and Aunt Farol were dairy farmers in the rolling hills of Vernon County Wisconsin. Their farm was absolutely gorgeous with a creek cutting its way through a deep valley and flowing beneath a large sandstone formation at one end of the gorge. As a girl I spent many hours splashing in that creek beneath the sandstone wall.

Well, the Army Corps of Engineers decided they WOULD build a flood control dam in that area, and said dam was going to turn our beloved farm into a lake bed. Uncle Mac and Aunt Farol had no choice but to sell their farm to the state and move off their land.

Before leaving, they saved much of what they could from their land, their home, and their barn.

These little houses are actually small sections cut out of the barn beams and hand painted. The shingles on the roof are farm pine cone scales each glued down individually. The colors and styles are reminiscent of Aunt Farol's farmhouse.

Now if I just had some of their homemade maple syrup the picture would be complete - - - -
.

10 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

I love the handmade barns, but the story brought tears to my eyes.

Joe Todd said...

Being an OSU fan I wasn't sure I was going to comment LOL. I did enjoy the story,photo and post. Thanks

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Girlfriend...

I remember this post so well or at least remember reading a longer version of it! Your Aunt and Uncle's property sounded soooo beautiful...what a shame that it was lost, however time moves on and things change! I think this is a wonderful remembrance of their old home place...these darling little farm buildings! It seems to me that I read it was your father who built the little buildings? Love the pine cone roofs too!

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful and endearing post with us today for Sunday Favorites, my friend! Hope that you're having a super Sunday!!!

Love ya,
Chari

Joe Todd said...

How did I find you? I was leaving a comment on a blog post (don't remember which one) and you had also commented. I liked your smile in the "avatar" so clicked on your blog. Then I read "I'm ALWAYS trying to stir up SOMETHING!!" and the rest is history. Will be back from time to time.

Connie N. said...

By chance, was this Rusty's farm? If it was, I remember being there with you and Pam.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

LOve the sweet little houses, but I love the story even more. You have such a gift, Keetha!

sanjeet said...

I did enjoy the story,photo and post. Thanks

Work from home India

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Awwww....I love this! But am very sad all the little houses are all
that's left of their beautiful barn. :-(

dana said...

It's amazing what can be lost when the government decides something else should be "improved".....it happens every day!

We had a lake built in the area where I grew up (Trimble, Missouri)...it was farm country, too. There were also many folks who were forced "out" of their homes and livelihoods so the new lake could have a home. I remember how my dad would fuss once the lake filled up and the "boating and fishing" folks flocked there....he hated following them as they hauled their big rigs back and forth on the highway he used to go to work (in KC...and hour's drive from Trimble). He was close friends with a couple of families who had to "relocate" because of the lake...he really didn't like that.

I LOVE that your Aunt and Uncle utilized bits of their barn to create buildings similar to theirs when they lived on the farm.

I think Brandon's poem certainly spoke to that time in your A and Uncle's life, too.

Dana

kanishk said...

LOve the sweet little houses, but I love the story even more. You have such a gift,

kobe beef