Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Number One Cherry Blossom Lane

.

If you happen to be walking past Number One, Cherry Blossom Lane in Somewhere Special, USA you just might see her, for occasionally she sits in the shade on the wide veranda of her immaculate Victorian home.


Something about her will capture your imagination. She isn't beautiful, as some may count beauty, and yet - - - and yet - - - there is something, some je ne sais quoi. Perhaps it is the way she holds her head, or her air of grace, or even the pearls she wears with her lace. Whatever it is, you will not soon forget this rather eccentric little lady with a heart of pure gold.


Her name is Lady Catherine Rose Sitzalone, but she was known to her friends simply as Miss Kitty Rose. I say "was known to her friends" because you see, she is the last of her ilk, having survived all her friends. A lone rose drooping on the vine.


Folks who know Miss Kitty Rose say she is a proper Southern Belle, in an age when far too few of those remain. She gets her hair done each Saturday, goes to church every Sunday, dresses to the nines in her lace and pearls - - - even for lunch, uses a tall umbrella instead of a cane, and wouldn't be seen - - - even on her veranda - - - without her rose-red lipstick and orchid-pink cheek rouge. There are those who say her long lost twin was once the Prime Minister of England - - - but that is a mystery to be solved in another tale.

When she was just a girl, her parents gave her everything money could buy which might spoil some, but not Miss Kitty Rose. She gave teas in her lovely flower garden for those less fortunate than herself, worked tirelessly volunteering at the Children's Hospital and organized ladies' luncheons at her church. She spoke with authority, but in such a gentle tone that not a soul thought her unkind.

Her money is all gone now. A scoundrel investor made off with her fortune and left her barely able to care for her day to day needs. But somehow, chin held high, she carries on.

With her friends all dead and gone, she has plenty of time to sit alone on her veranda. She invites the neighborhood children to join her there and serves them a proper English tea. They are delighted with Miss Rose and never does she let them suspect that she misses the days gone by when she was needed, useful, and surrounded by her friends.

She remembers all that was, and hopes for more to come.

And sometimes, just sometimes, she allows herself to take her most treasured memory out of its safe place in her heart and look back on it with tears in her eyes. She remembers the one and only love of her life, her dear sweet Arthur who used to take her dancing on Saturday nights.

Everyone said they made the handsomest pair on the ballroom floor. Arthur would twirl her in a gentle spin and dip her until her long golden curls nearly dragged the floor. Folks would come from miles around just to watch them waltz. Miss Kitty was a graceful dancer, beautiful to behold. She floated across the floor on long slender legs that seemed to go on forever.

Arthur asked for her hand, and she smiled a shy "yes." Her father said he would give her "half the kingdom" for her wedding, but she said all she wanted was a simple ceremony in the flower garden beside their lovely Victorian home. So arches were built, and chairs were arranged, and folks were invited from all over Somewhere Special.

But fate was not kind to Catherine, for on their wedding eve, poor Arthur was thrown from his horse surviving just long enough to whisper one last time, "I love you my own dear Rose." So instead of a wedding, Miss Kitty sat very alone under the marriage arch and bid her sweet Arthur adieu.

Though the people of Somewhere Special have long since forgotten, or have never heard the tale of Miss Kitty's lost love, they will tell you that - - -

If you should pass by Number One, Cherry Blossom Lane on a dark, quiet, Saturday night you just might hear the faint notes of a waltz floating on the air. And if you look up through the veranda, and if you are very fortunate indeed, you just might see on the drawn window shades, the graceful silhoutte of a lovely lady gliding across the floor on long slender legs that seem to go on forever - - -

The End


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Credits:

"Catherine" - submitted by LaVoice

"Kitty" - submitted by Leigh
and chosen by me in memory of my beloved Aunt Kitty

"Rose" - Dictated by her lovely red lips

"Sitzalone" - well, she does, doesn't she?

Story Line: Amy, Rita, Patti, Brenda, Angie, and Groovy


A big huge THANK YOU to all contributors, you made Lady Catherine Rose Sitzalone come alive.

.

36 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

You did a great job on this tale...and I believe every word of it!! Too amusing...

Lori R. said...

Excellent team effort! Love the story!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a wonderful story, love it!

LV said...

With that tale, you should be a writer. You did an excellent job tying all that together from what so many shared. I am so excited to think I contributed a small part in the life of Miss Kitty Rose.

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here, laughing out loud! You are a fab spinner of a tall tale! I LOVED it!!!:)THIS is why I love you so much Keetha!!

Julie Harward said...

This was so cute, I could just see it all...you ought to write more...make a movie! I'm so glad we connected, just love ya! Come say hi :D

Kranky Granny said...

Keetha, since the beginning of times every culture, tribe and community has had their storytellers who were responsible for keeping and passing on to future generations the history of their people through stories. Storytelling is also one of the earliest forms of folkart.

Many names have been given to these storytellers but regardless of which one you choose to use you have added your name to the list with this creative and delightful tale.

From your tale I feel as if I have know the Grand Old Dame all of my life. I will be eagerly waiting and watching to learn more about our Miss Kitty Rose.

I am honored to be listed among the contributors.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Y'all!!!!!!


This is amazing! I want this story printed out in one of those little photo books, complete with Ms. Kitty Rose' picture on the cover. This is a story to be shared, a story of love & misfortune, over coming adversity and continuing the dance of life (in more ways than one). I am in love. In love with the story. In love with the lady, Lady Catherine Rose Sitzalone, whom I like to call Kitty Rose.

Keetha, I love it. And just like the wonderful teacher that you are, you allowed her story to unfold through your readers, and it all came together.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

PS, Is Ms Litty for sale? I think


1. you need to send her story to the shop owner.

2. offer to buy her. She has a place...better yet, a home at the Eclectic Co. Maybe we can raise some $$?

I am serious.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Ps I can just see her riding shotgun on your adventures in and out of town. Cant you see it now? The looks! I Love it!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Pss-I too am honored to be listed as a contributor, though small as my contribution was, I am thrilled to be a part of her story.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just awesome girl...you did an outstanding job with this wonderful story...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What a great post, love it!!

Stopping by from Debby's :)

Jane said...

Followed the link from Leigh...
LOVE Miss Catherine Rose Sitzalone! Her story is delightful. I'd love to sit with her on her veranda and listen to her tales...
Of course, all the authors would have to be there too!

Jane (Artfully Graced)

Jeanette said...

What a great post. I also followed the link from Leigh.

Fantacy so Sweet-n-Stuff... said...

Love it! I found out about sweet Miss Kitty Rose from Leigh :) She always has contacts with the most awesome blogs and characters! :D

Pat @ My Tattered Elegance said...

Leigh sent me over and I agree, this story and lady should be shared with the world. This is a wonderful story and I thank you so much for posting it and sharing with all of us. I will be back to see all the other things you post.
Hugs, Pat

Angie said...

You know, Keetha, you could have hit the nail right on the head saying Miss Kitty was reputed to have been the twin sister of a Prime Minister of England! Twins run in families, right? That former Grande Dame of No. 10 has twin chldren AND is fair of locks if not of face. She's also very fond of the colour blue.

This story of yours can take the imaginaton in so many directions. It's wonderful and I enjoyed it so much. Is there going to be a sequel?

j said...

This was so lovely Keetha. I am charmed by Miss Kitty Rose and I think I may even know her (except her name was Ms. Dement and she taught journalism in high school).

Have a great day!

Becky said...

I just hopped over from Leigh's blog. What a lovely story for a lovely lady!

Stacey said...

I love it!! It's just ashame that poor Arthur had to meet his doom. Who knows how the story might have been if he had lived.

Anne said...

Thank you for bringing Miss Kitty Rose to life...what a wonderful story!

Marigene said...

What a sweet story about a little old lady! It is kind of sad Arthur was thrown from his horse...

Brenda said...

WHAT! NO CHOKINONACHERRYPIT?!
;)
In all seriousness--and yes, I do have a serious side--that was awesome how you pulled it all together! Now, that was a story. The part where kids would come sit with her on her porch reminded me of my childhood days. Our widowed neighbor two doors down would sit in her swing in the summer and us kids would go and 'hang out' with her. Her name was Bessie Chambers, although she was Mrs. Chambers to us kids (we Never called an adult by her first name back then). She was a dear, sweet woman and if I'd thought of her sooner, her name would've been my choice.
But Miss Kitty Rose fits her perfectly!
I am honored to be in your credits corny as my 'story' was!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Now THAT was fun! I missed your blogs leading up to this (cuz I was MIA while I prepared for a spring sale), but I so enjoyed reading your story and catching up on how it evolved!!! You are one talented science teacher! :)

Happy St. Pat's...hope you wore your green to school, unless you're on Spring Break (many of our local districts are!)

L, Dana

Janean said...

great team work!!!!

Nancy said...

Bravo! Encore!

Now you know what you can do after June.

Shannon said...

Halle saw her picture and said, "I'm scared of that lady!"

Bunny Jean said...

Thanks for this reminder that every "old" person once lived an active life... full of hopes, dreams and accomplishments.

It's sad that most people just see others as they are at the present time, never as the whole person.

Oh, to be young and have the wisdom that one gains throughout the years...

Talk to you soon ;)
Bunny Jean

Maggie said...

Such a lovely story, so sad and poignant, Miss Kitty Rose, a Southern peach.
Spookily though she does remind me of Lady M.
~Maggie~

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you I also came here by way of Bloggeritaville. Thanks Leigh!

Sue Bartz said...

This little lady's name is actually "Edith", and her home is on Main Street in Hayward, Wisconsin. She proudly flaunts her stuff at Sophie's Dog Bakery & Boutique and Splendid Things. She's quite a character and is actually looking for a man! Come visit her!

Noah said...

Why can you RHYME all the TIME (heheheheheheh) in your BLOG(it's like SMOG) and I can't during Math CLASS? oh yeah, your the BRASS. (heheh)

Unknown said...

Such a bitter sweet, poetic story. I see her in a different light now. Makes one a bit sad.

Love the name.

Cheers!
Tina

groovyoldlady said...

Oh Dear, I actually got all teary. This was lovely. Simply lovely!

Unknown said...

I am still smiling from the wonderful story. Fantastic collaboration!