Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Junk Mail

.

Yesterday afternoon hubby brought in the mail.
He began to sift and sort through the junk,
Making gleeful, chortling sounds.
Yes, CHORTLING sounds.

I said, "What are you doing?"
He replied, "Getting rid of the junk mail."


If you don't know hubby well,
You may not RECOGNIZE this look - - -
Do you see how his head is cocked over to the side
And his bottom lip is slightly sucked in???

THAT is his
"Oh I am SO PROUD of myself for this" look.
It is usually accompanied by chortling.

I watched in awe and fascination
As he began tearing the "junk"
Out of each envelope,
Folding and crinkling it,
Making a pile on the counter.

Each time he would find an envelope
With "No Postage Necessary"
Stamped on it,
He would stuff it FULL of his bits and pieces
Of JUNK - - - including gum wrappers.
With each new envelope find he uttered:
"YES!! Here's another one!"


He sealed this all up in nice fat little packets,
And put them in the outgoing mail.
Says he's been doing this for weeks now.
Each time it makes him chortle with glee because:

1) He didn't ASK for this junk mail.
2) Those who send it out are getting it back
3) THEY have to pay the postage
4) He imagines their faces when they get it
5) He hopes they learn what junk mail feels like
6) He hopes it makes them send out less
7) It is saving on our trash disposal
8) It's good for the post office - - - gives them business
9) It's a new take on recycling
10) All of the above make him chortle.

Oh that hubby of mine.

.

24 comments:

Jewel said...

I do that too! Not the chortling part (whatever that is) but the returning junk mail with junk!

haley said...

oh my goodness, he CRACKS me up!!!! what a genius idea!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I've known people who have wrapped up bricks and attached the postage paid envelopes on the outside. I enjoy my shredder, but I can understand the glee your husband gets :)

Erin said...

That is a great idea! Please tell hubby thank you!

linda t said...

I love the word chortle and have been waiting for the perfect way to work that word into a post.
Thanks for the inspiration!
And I so gotta do that with our mass amounts of junk mail!
Here's hoping your weekend is filled with chortle moments!

Keetha Broyles said...

Jewel - - - I bet you DO chortle, I mean, how would you know since you don't know what chortling is?!?

Haley - - - we DON'T call him a genius, or he gets worse!!!

Miss Goat - - - A BRICK!?! Oh, wait till I tell hubby that one!

Erin, I had to go to your profile to be sure that was you!!! I'm guessing you're in the middle of painting projects???

Linda T - - - chortle, chortle, CHORTLE!!!! (just for you! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!I was chortling so loud my girls came running to see what was happening!!!! (Sidenote, haven't forgotten about the rugs, I'll try to send you an email this weekend!)

Keetha Broyles said...

Yippee, Amy, on BOTH accounts.

It was really funny to see - - - he was soooooo proud of himself.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I have to admit...this is pretty hysterical!

Thank you for your comment on my fabulous new salt & pepper shakers. I actually don't collect them...yet. ;-) Pat may have started something!

Have a beautiful weekend.

grammy said...

Good post favorite DIL and can't wait for favorite son's next phone call.... I will learn the "chortle" and will follow his advice about re-cycling junk mail!!!

I can't find my blog said...

This is hysterical. Do you suppose the companies that do this will get the message? It would save a lot of corporate waste, you know. He might be saving the economy in the process!!

Anonymous said...

Thats NOT a bad idea.I think I'll try that.but i guess i'm a pessimist,it ain't gonna stop it.ugh.......
Hey,Keetha,i am assuming the reason I EVER copied or snagged that pic(snake)is the reason i still look at it.if you really look at it,the little boy is comfortable with that snake.he acts like it's his pet.HE is bathing IT.I know.....creepy to us,but beside it it says,'only in thailand".thank God...............ann

fritopi said...

that's awesome! your husband has the right idea. :)

Keri said...

Oh what an awesome Dad I have! :) He makes me laugh.

Keetha Broyles said...

Laura - - - with an AWESOME start like THAT salt/pepper shaker, I'd start too. But ONLY add others that were that unusual and beautiful!!!

Grammy - - - I'm sure he GOT the chortle from you in the first place, so go ahead and begin using it!

Headless - - - not to mention we're ALSO saving the planet - - -

Ann - - - even if it doesn't stop it, just think how HAPPY it will make you knowing you are causing THEM to also have junk in the mail!!

Fritopi - Thanks for visiting, but shhhhhhh, let's not TELL him, he's already proud enough of himself, we'll just give him a big head

Keri - - - can YOU see the "I'm so proud of myself" look on his face???? Hehehehehehehe he cracks me up.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I have to agree with him. I have heard of that, I am going to start doing it too!

Martin LaBar said...

Evil.

Of course, these companies will soon see the error of their ways, and stop sending it . . .

grammy said...

Anxiously picked up today's mail and "yup" I stuffed "postage due" envelopes and they are ready to mail!!! Parents, listen to your children, they can teach you something!!! Thanks Greggie!!

Kim Sue said...

love that he is so proud of himself!

Nancy said...

I've heard of people who send the junk back, but never those who chortle as they do. How about a video of Greg chortling? (smile) I like the fact that he stuffs the envelopes with additional junk.

(We have very little junk mail as there is a website which will cancel junk -- it works.)

Shoemaker Family said...

THAT is such a fabulous idea...I might have to do the same...we could be on the verge of something huge here...

Raise Them Up said...

Oh my goodness! This is so totally funny! Tell your husband that he has started a movement...

"Don't burn it, Return it!!"

You know, I don't remember how I stumbled onto your blog. But I'm always looking for others in my area. I didn't know you taught, though. That's just doubly cool. :) I taught for six years in a small Christian School in PA before we started a family. Then we moved out here.

Have a nice Monday!
Blessings

Keetha Broyles said...

I taught for four years in a Christian School in NC, then stayed home for 17 years to raise my family, and this is my tenth year teaching again.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely brilliant.