Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Flooding in My City

.

The Mighty Wisconsin flows from north to south right through our city, bisecting it east from west.


This week, because of snow melt run-off (the dirty mound you see on the right side of this picture is representative of what is left of our snow) and rains - - -


The Wisconsin has been very angry and up out of her banks.

This is the view from the Grand Avenue bridge looking south. If you look closely you can see that the rows of trees along both her banks are in the flooded river bed.


Fortunately, both east and west river banks are lined with parks and walk ways through town.


So while those parks were closed and flooded most buildings and homes were spared.


The ducks seemed to enjoy all the extra water - - -


And they weren't too concerned about launching their canoes or kayaks.


By the time the river crested on Tuesday afternoon, a few sections of street had been closed and I imagine those living on the far side of those streets were beginning to wonder if their toes were indeed going to get wet.

I did hear of one assisted living facility that was evacuated as a precaution.

Folks who know we live in a Wisconsin River town have contacted us worrying that we were getting flooded out. No, our house is blocks away from the river, and on high ground. We are dry. Even my FBC is safe!


Fisherhubby's hospital, Riverview, where he is a PA-C in this very ER is right across the road from the river. I stood with my back to the rising water as I took this photo.


However, even though the river was taking over (as you can see beyond the rocks) the low ground, it would have to get ridiculously high to go all the way up that steep bank, across the road, and into the hospital.

Now I'd like to show you the progress the rising waters made from Sunday through the crest on Tuesday:


Fishing pier, Sunday around noon.


Fishing pier Monday, around noon.


Fishing pier Tuesday around 2:00 PM (crest)


If you look closely, you can barely see the top of the pier picnic table below the surface.


View toward the north along the river shore
Sunday, noon.


Same northward view, Monday noonish


Same northward view from a deeper angle to show all the water
Around 2:00 PM (crest) Tuesday.

Since Tuesday the flood waters have receded back nearly to their normal level.


Thanks to Unknown Mami for hosting
"Sundays in My City"
To which I am linking this post.

.

24 comments:

Jojo said...

So glad that homes and businesses remained dry. Enough snow - on with spring!!!!

urban muser said...

wow, that's a lot of water. i hope it continues to stay away from residential areas for the most part.

Iowa Sunshine said...

wow, that is a lot of water and we can only guess at the damage within all of those inches :( thanks for sharing, keetha.

Unknown said...

All of that water looks refreshing, especially since I know the floods did not affect homes. We are so dry in Central America that our city is enveloped in smoke from dust and wildfires from the countryside. How I want some of your flood to come my way!

Anonymous said...

has it gotten into the graveyards, i know that sounds weird but it could become a problem

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So much flooding! I am so glad your town stayed mostly dry!

Anonymous said...

oh no...We have floods in Finland too but not in Helsinki where we live.
Today we had a long walk and we saw first flowers, hip hip hooray! :)
Have a great week ahead!

Kristin - The Goat said...

It's so interesting to see that fishing pier just disappear under all that water. I'm happy to hear that the water is now receding - thanks for taking photos of the rise!

nancygrayce said...

Oh, that water just looks angry! This has really been the year for storms. Glad you are in a safe zone!

xinex said...

Wow! I am so glad houses were spared and that you live high and dry....Christine

May said...

Back in February, this was pretty much the same situation in our village. A lot of families had to go through a lot of hardship, as many homes were flooded from the snow meltdown into the river Main.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Flooding is a scary thing. Glad the water has receeded for now!

Claudya Martinez said...

Unbelievable! I have never experienced anything like that. I'm glad that your toes stayed dry.

Photography said...

WOW that's a lot of water!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you stayed safe and dry.
Bring on Spring!

Unknown said...

I thought that grayish mound of snow was a rock!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Ooh that water is really churning!
Glad your safe and dry. The Black River has been looking pretty wild too.
Hugs,
Cindy

Theresa said...

Flooding can cause soooo much damage! The river destroyed my Sister's house a little over a year ago! I am happy to hear that homes and businesses were spared!

Have a blessed day dear Keetha! HUGS!

Unknown said...

Wow those are amazing photos! I'm glad you managed to stay safe and dry. Thanks for the flood tour!
And thanks for visiting my blog!

Doris Sturm said...

Well, at least you're not having a water shortage there...glad you're ok and your home is safe! Interesting photos!

SueWis said...

Wow! Last week I traveled to Minneapolis, then Tomahawk, then home, and saw the high waters. Glad you live a good distance away from the river!

Serline said...

Glad to know that the flooding did not do any damage. Very different here in Thailand, where we are still facing the aftermath and massive cleanup in the southern provinces.

Nancy said...

Flooding can be such a devastating event. Scary for the families that live along and near its banks. Glad you are far enough away from the dangers. :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Thats alot of water!!!