Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

And Then I Withdrew and Became a Huge Couch Potato

.

This morning,
over at Jen's place, "The Pipe Life", I saw a post about goals and resolutions and how we're doing with them. Her post really got me thinking.



I realize that there are MANY who LOVE to live by goals - - - they are the "list-makers."

They simply do not function well unless they have written goals and tasks which they can check off their list. And what lists some of them have - - - - if we ever have a shortage of adding machine tape, we will point at the list-makers and say "it's THEIR fault."

Many of that same list-maker genre also love to read books about organizing their life, making and keeping goals, and other self-help stuff. Their bookshelves are FULL of these books, and I could probably start naming authors whose mere NAMES would send the list-maker genre into peals of ecstatic joy.

And, since that seems to WORK for the list-makers, I say "more power to 'em."

BUT, I am NOT one of those.


If forced to write down goals and deadlines and lists, I withdraw into myself, procrastination mode takes over, and I become a HUGE (notice the emphasis on huge) couch potato.

I never buy nor go to the library to check out a single self-help book.

YIKES - - - maybe they just remind me how little hope there IS for me, I don't know. But I suspect it is more because they are simply a LONG LIST OF THINGS TO DO disguised under the title of "How to (fill in your own favorite self-help topic).

This is also why I hate the phone - - - it may be a list of things for me to do. I'm just bein' honest here.


And if you give me too many deadlines at once, I just simply feel overwhelmed with busyness and instead of tackling the list one item at a time, I MUST kick off my shoes and TAKE A NAP!!!

No, that isn't me on the couch - - - the potato was me - - - this is Fisherhubby doin' the whole nap thing.

So, instead I have ONE goal.

ONE is a number I can love.

ONE is a number I can "do".

And what is my ONE goal you may ask?

It's simple really, my ONE goal on New Year's day and every other day is to be obedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

That's it.

I can HANDLE that.

And, it's working. My life has meaning. I'm busy. Here are some of the things that are new to me in the last few months, and all with no more than my ONE goal and resolution:

*Packed up our Indiana home and moved to Wisconsin
*Unpacked and settled in.
*Began teaching a KIDDs class on Wednesday evenings at our church.
*Began leading a nursing home ministry team which goes out bi-weekly.
*Began volunteering in the Shepherd's Loft three mornings a week. (Called a loft because it began in a balcony, though it has now taken over an entire basement.)
*Took on the responsibility of doing the monthly newsletter for our church.
*Began working on being a more gentle person.
*Maintained our home.
*Continued blogging to my heart's content.

I do not list these things in an effort to boast - - - it's really a very modest list. No, I show this list in an attempt to ENCOURAGE the REST of you out there who are ALSO of the non-list-maker genre like me.

Because really, if you are like me all that "goal" stuff just sends you into hibernation or estivation, depending on the season.

I want to step up and say:

YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH MUCH WITH ONE LITTLE GOAL!!!!

Be obedient.

"Hang in there, I'm pulling for you - - - we're all in this together!!" (Thanks again, Red Green for the GREAT quote.)


Photo Credits:
Long List - behavioradvisor.com
Couch Potato - culch.ie

.

14 comments:

Pam said...

Amen Sister! Good post on a great words to live by daily. We must be sisters - I don't read self help literature either; I have, however, been known to make a few lists from time to time.

Jen said...

Ha! I love your ONE goal. And thanks for the shout out!

P.S. I love Red Green, too. :)

Lynn said...

I have a friend I call Moofie. I have known her since we were 8 years old. She makes a list of everything she plans to do every day. And I mean EVERYTHING. She starts with:
1. Drink coffee
2. Brush teeth.

She doesn't put "Do Laundry" on her list. She puts
Wash clothes
Dry clothes
Fold Clothes
Put clothes away

For EVERY load she does!
Yes. I do tease her.
Quite a bit.

Lori E said...

I came across a list that was about 7 years old one time and you know there was only about 1 or 2 things on that list that had been accomplished around the house.
Apparently putting it in writing is not a valid contract.

Theresa said...

You have accomplished a lot! I work from a list sometimes but it isn't something that I have to have! I like your ONE goal!

Happy Easter dear Keetha, HUGS!

Sandy said...

Oh, yes...Be obedient to the Holy Spirit working in our lives....I don't do lists either....Oh, to be obedient....
Thanks for that great word, Keetha..
Just me,
Sandy

Terra said...

Keetha, your list is simple and perfect. Be obedient to the Holy Spirit. My friend wrote that at the top of her "to do" lists she writes Jesus, which puts the focus in the right place!

LV said...

When I worked, I heard we have goals to meet or we did not meet our golas. Never again will I set a goal for anything. I just take one day at a time and do the best I can with it. If I accomplish something, fine. If not, so what.

Gwen@ChewDigestBooks.com said...

Woah, you have done a lot for just having that one goal and the year isn't even half over yet.

Three cheers for those of us that abhor lists and goals. We may dislike 'em, but we continue to hit the balls out of the park all the time.

P.S. I didn't know you were in IN before moving back to the tundra. I have relatives there, that I have never met. Which is why I am going to refrain from asking you were you lived. (because then I would most likely have no idea where that was and would have to change the subject really subtle like...So how are your tulips doing?)

Ann in the UP said...

Great post! Obedience----as though it was easy to be obedient.

I'm pretty sure that the Lord didn't want me to serve him as a consultant, or in an advisory capacity.

Martin LaBar said...

That's a great goal!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I love the self help section, but I guess because I keep going back I must not have my answer. Obedience is a great goal.

Keri said...

Oh how this apple fell and landed just under your branch!!!! I have said to Jason "If I were left to my own devices, I would never do ANYTHING. My 'nature' is to just sit. Sit and eat, sit and play video games." As I said in another comment tonight, I have had a rough week. I have a tendency to see the "list makers" and compare myself to them and come out feeling inadequate and like a failure. The "list makers" in my life also feed their children three perfectly balanced meals, have SPOTLESS homes, perfect yards...yadda yadda yadda. I don't know how they do it. Your post has given me loads of encouragement, Mom. More than I can articulate. Thank you for sharing.

Keri said...

P.S. Did you get a new couch??? I love it!