Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ancient Secret Family Heirloom Recipe

.

I wish I could tell you I can bring home the bacon
And fry it up in the pan.

I WISH I could tell you that.

But I can't.
If I said it,
I'd be lying through my dad burn teeth.
(What is "dad burn" anyway?)

The TRUTH is,
If I'm going to cook anything
On a school night,
(And believe me it is
A rare, rare, rare day when I even try)
It has to be quick and easy.

Tonight was one of those rare days
And I'm going to share my
Ancient Secret Family Heirloom recipe
With you.


Go to your local grocery store
And purchase a pound of ground chuck
And these two dry goods items.

I don't much care what brand of
Taco seasoning you buy,
Whatever brand strikes your fancy
Is fine with me.

But the black beans and rice???
Don't buy any brand but Vigo.
Vigo rocks.

And that's how we rock and roll around here.

(Oh Vigo corporation I do love you
And I hope you find this post
And send me a year's worth
of free rice and bean packs.
Black beans and rice
And Santa Fe are my favorites.)

Now, back to our secret recipe.

When you get home from the grocery store,
Fry up that ground chuck in a nice large skillet.
Sprinkle on salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

When the beef is all brown and yummy,
Add the taco seasoning and
Water according to the instructions
on the Vigo package
AND pour in the package contents.

Once it has come to a boil,
Turn down the heat to barely there,
Cover your pan,
And let it simmer for about 30 minutes,
Stirring occasionally.


After 30 minutes,
Remove the lid and find this!!


Dish up a generous portion for yourself,
Garnish with cheese - - -
Cheese is very important if you're from Wisconsin.
Dig in.

All you overachiever types may
also prepare side dishes
Like salad and fruit
But for me and my house,
We are a one dish meal kind of place.

Enjoy.
.

23 comments:

Shauna said...

Hey come check out my new book giveaway blog :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Keetha,
That looks really yummy! I will have to give it a try. I loved your comments on the dells, my parents first took me when I was 7 and there wasn't much there but for me it was fabulous! We went to the Indian ceremony and the water show and I was in little girl heaven. Yesterday, it was 87 degrees and yet in Hayward, only 100 miles N. it was 57. That's Wisc. for you! Have a great week-end. Cindy

Diane said...

Oh Keetha honey, you are my kinda gal! One dish is all anyone needs, I say!!! This does sound good and this one dish gal will have to give it a try!

Many hugs..........

Diane

Betty Jo said...

Now that I'm "single" I look for one-dish meals. They are perfect, and the leftovers are so welcome on a busy day. This sounds awesome and I can't wait to try it. I'm assuming that when you add the water according to the instructions on the Vigo package, you add the rest of the package contents too, right? Thanks for giving away a valuable family secret recipe. ♥

Martin LaBar said...

I think "dad burn" is what the late George Failing called a minced oath.

groovyoldlady said...

Oh Keetha...the sodium! Ack!!!

You could cut the sodium by substituting a generous sprinkling of cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder for the taco seasoning. Still quick and easy, but much healthier!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I like one or two dish meals, but my husband is a three thing kind of guy. It drives me batty.

You don't cook during the week? hmmmm, very interesting.

Erin said...

Yum! That sounds delicious! I will have to look for the Vigo brand.

Shoemaker Family said...

YUM-O!

Anonymous said...

Looks delish!!My kiddos would love that!!I have never seen that Brand in VA, I'll have to hunt for it!:)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It looks so good. I love black beans and rice, one of my favorites. I will have to try this. Thanks

Shannon said...

That looks yummy! I will have to try it!

Unknown said...

That looks so simple and yummy! I'm gonna have to try it.

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh my - - - since so many of you said you were gonna try this dish, I'm thinking a lot of hubbies out there in blogland are either gonna love me or hate me, depending on how they like my rice dish!!!!

Send in the reports of the results - - - -

Kayla said...

that looks delicious!!! make that at Thanksgiving ;)

Sherry said...

Ooo, that looks good and sounds easy!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

FYI - I bought the Vigo today and hope to try this soon. Thanks

Betty Jo said...

Duhhhh! I see now where you add the rest of the package, just like you said to do. Excuse my mistake! Making it here in a few and will let you know how it turns out. ♥

Betty Jo said...

The allergies effect my eyes so I thought that's why I missed it. Glad to know you added it after my comment.

I have to be away the rest of the day so made the dish early and just had to taste it. Yummo! This is a winner. I used only half the taco seasoning pack as I don't care for strong seasoning or as much salt and the rice mix is also seasoned. Next time I will use a low-salt version of taco mix but forgot to look for that this time 'round. This is so easy, and perfect for a single gal. I'll get at least three meals out of the one dish with a salad along side. Plus, it takes care of my craving for the Mexican restaurant nearby, and will save me some time and money. Thanks again!

You know what; this would also be good as filling for a wrap or taco with sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato. The rice and beans, a complete protein, stretches the meat thus a money saver. ♥

Keetha Broyles said...

Betty Jo, Wow - - - you have GREAT ideas of ways to use my casserole, that I made up all on my own just that day I posted about it, Maybe we should go into a partnership!!! I'll make up some quick and easy recipes, you'll offer suggestions of ways to use them and enhance their use, and we'll publish a great little book about it all!!!!

:-)

Betty Jo said...

LOL Keetha, you're a hoot! But, you just never know, we might be a hit. ♥

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh girl - - - we are ALREADY a hit, at least in our own minds!!!

Hehehehehehehehe

Keri said...

I was so proud of myself. While at the store without a list (EEK!) I thought of this dish and bought the family size rice. I have been planning all day to make it!

BUT! I didn't buy the black beans & rice, I bought the yellow saffron rice! OH NO! Will it be gross??? Stay tuned to find out!

I thought I would warm up some tortillas so we could make burritos with it. And I did buy a can of black beans and planned on making them as a side dish for those of us whose names don't begin with "P" and end with "attitude" ("I HATE black beans!").