Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Out and About Town - - -

.

This post is all about simple pleasures to be found, enjoyed, and savored in my north central midwest home town. Hmmmmm - - - there's A LOT of directionality in that last sentence!!!

First stop:


The other day I made a long overdue stop here. Long overdue because I hadn't been in such a long time, and my heart was just longing to go again.


Reading was something my mom valued - - - so if my sister and I had our noses stuck in a book, we were far less likely to be summoned for household chores. Momma didn't raise no fools - - - so Sister Pam and I honed our love of reading to a fine degree.

We made frequent trips to our central Wisconsin city library from whence, after curling up in a window seat to read for a spell, we would bring home arm loads of books.

To this day I still love to read AND to visit the library.

When I walk in the library door, that sense of "librariness" washes over me and beckons me to enter and explore the shelves.

This particular trip, I check out three books:


I have already read four books in this series and enjoyed them immensely. They are set in an English Village full of cottages and charm. Though they are novels, their main character is Beatrix Potter of "Peter Rabbit" fame. They include enough of her actual life history to make me feel like she is now my friend.

When I started the first book of this series, I was at first turned off just a bit when the animals began to talk. However, I soon realized that only other animals could understand them (well Beatrix is pretty good at animal discernment - though she does not herself speak animalese) and it became part of the whimsy that makes them so special.


I actually found this series of mysteries from the above books because Susan Albert is Robin Paige. These are easy read Victorian mysteries featuring a female sleuth and "dreadful penny novel" authoress.


And the final prize that I brought home is this most unusual John Grisham book.

I actually first heard an interview with John himself on NPR about this book back when it was just coming off the presses. Though I'm NOT normally a Grishamite, the interview captured my attention and my imagination because this book is about FOOD and FOOTBALL - - - two of my great passions.

This week several of my bloggy friends talked about reading and enjoying this book which reminded me to go in search of it.

Second stop:


Today I went to see my hairdresser, Amy, who knew I was coming this time!!! She gave me this perky little highlight/cut combo. She sometimes likes to lurk around on my blog, so it wasn't too difficult to convince her to pose for this mirror image photo!!

And after the hair do, I returned home to putter in the kitchen:


Can you believe it?!? I'm actually cooking!!!!

Does layering roasts, carrots, onions, mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup in a crock pot COUNT as cooking???? I hope so, 'cause that's the closest thing to cooking I've done since my famous, secret family heirloom rice and beans dish.

In a few minutes I'm heading out for one more adventure - - - - a $10 pedicure at the beauty school!!!!

Why don't you drop everything and come with me???

.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should come with you, I have never had a pedicure or a manicure, for that matter! dinner looks yummy! I am thinkin' takeout tonite, I have cooked all week!Cute hair!!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

There is a book out there that contains BOTH food and football?!! Good Job sleuthing it out :)

The meal sounds great. I still cannot believe you don't cook. lol Do you all eat out every day or does someone else in the house make the meals?

Trish said...

I would love to drop everything and come along for a pedicure..it would be sooo much fun!!!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hey Girlfriend...

So sorry about Mr. Linky. I've been out of the house today...we have our big estate sale going on! Just checked my blog to see if it published alright and eekkks...it was the old one! I did get it fixed now! So sorry...it's ready now!!!

I'll get back with you later...still busy with the sale!

Chari

Sherry said...

It sounds (and looks) like you had a fun day!

I love John Grisham. I saw an interview he did on TV the other day. It was very interesting. He talked about his new book (I think it was the newest - about Justice/Injustice). He came to Oklahoma to do the research on a true story about a man who was wrongly imprisoned. He said instead of 6 months it took him 18 months to write this one.

Happy reading!

Lynn said...

I'd love to come to get a pedi.
As for Grisham, I am still annoyed with him for his treatment of my friend Bill Peterson, in his book, The Innocent Man.
Bill is a kind person who wouldn't do anything unethical. He was working with the information he had.

Lynn said...

Oh, yeah,
Your hairs are cute!!!!

nancygrayce said...

I like that haircut!

Erin said...

Your haircut is darling! And pot roast cuisine very much counts as cooking!

Martin LaBar said...

I haven't been in Marion since our older daughter graduated, about 17 years ago. I'll bet it's changed a lot, probably meaning more traffic.

Libraries are great, and Grisham is a good read.