Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Just a Little OCD Pet Peeve - - -


.
Having taken French in both high school AND college, the use of the word "wallah" where one REALLY means "voila" is just simply driving me NUTS. The WHOLE WORLD seems to be doing it.

Here's what Merriam-Webster has to say about both terms:

Wallah: (pronounced wah-la)

Function:
noun
Etymology:
Hindi & Urdu -vālā one in charge, from Sanskrit pāla protector, from pālayati, pārayati he guards; akin to Sanskrit piparti he brings over, saves, Old English faran to go
- a person who is associated with a particular work or who performs a specific duty or service —usually used in combination : The book wallah was an itinerant peddler.



Voila: (Pronounced Vwa - la)

Function:
interjection


Etymology:
French, literally, see there
—used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic


So, while one should NOT say, "I couldn't find my shoes, but I looked around and, wallah! There they were.

One most DEFINITELY could say: "I couldn't find the book wallah, but I turned around and, voila! There he was!!!!

I'm just sayin' - - -
.

22 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm just sayin', I wish I was that smart regarding grammar. Nice job.

kyooty said...

I'm living in a bilingual province, you'll never hear Wallah from me, I really really really had to read further to figure out what you were talking about?

Tricia said...

Hi Keetha. Hey, does that mean I used "Voila!" in a satisfactory manner today?! Hope so. How funny. ;)
I haven't been able to get over here as much as I would like, but you have been so wonderful in coming to visit me.
Thank you.
BTW, I'm glad to hear that there is hope for my girls in the future. ;)
Talk to you soon.
*Tricia

P.S. I'm glad my blog still loads fast. I hate when you have to twiddle your thumbs and wait. (I usually don't wait. ADD I guess.)

kyooty said...

oh anddddddddd have you also heard "TA DA" vs the Wallah? yeah that happens too. TAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAAA!:)

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh yes I have heard Ta -Da, but you know what, I don't know the origin of that one so have never questioned it's veracity. Perhaps I should BEGIN to question, eh???

Keetha Broyles said...

Here's what Webster's New World College Dictionary has to say for Ta Da: Informal used to suggest the sound of a fanfare: an exclamation of triumph or pride accompanying an announcement, a bow, etc.

So - - - I guess it is a bona fide phrase which we can use!

Lone Butterfly said...

I have never heard anyone say "Wallah". Now, I'll be on the lookout! (Because it would totally annoy me!)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You lost me at "Just a little OCD"

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

It does bug me when I see "voila" spelled "wallah"... but not having had French... aren't they pronounced the same? Or at least very close? To be honest I don't say either one because I'm not sure of the pronunciation! LOL!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I guess I don't get it. You don't have a the pronunciation of Voila - so I'm not sure if I'm saying it wrong or if it's a spelling thing that you're talking about.

I'm so confused!!

WV - Saxes :)

I can't find my blog said...

Also one of my pet peeves. Thanks for addressing it!

Trish said...

I bet if we all listed our pet peeves...the list would go to infinity and beyond~~~And I completely understand the whole OCD thing!!!
~hug~
trish

Susie's country cottage said...

I'm just saying hello as I discovered your blog through a link and it's real hoot! Wallah is a new one on me but now that you've mentioned it I'm sure I'll be hearing it everywhere! If it is one thing that bugs me it is bad grammar. Why can't people speak proper like what I do!!

Pammerys said...

Good one! Mine is when people say "a whole nother thing" instead of "a whole other thing" or "another thing".

By the way to answer your questions, I am a Pamela too (like your sister), and I'll be posting a picture very soon.

Kayla said...

neeeerd :)

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm a Word nerd, Kayla!!!

Jessica Morris said...

I don't think I have even heard the word "wallah" before this post! ... maybe I shouldn't be admitting my ignorance!! :-p

Marie Reed said...

hehehe! This Voilà post cracked me up! That's been driving me bonkers too! I just hope that it doesn't become normal bloggy language like OMG or LOL!

Roslyn said...

Aha,[now there's another interesting expression from the Egyptians? but even that is in dispute] FINALLY someone addresses one of MY favorite peeves, I hate wallah what the heck is that anyway it sounds like an Aboriginal town in Australia! Five years of French I know of "what you speak", but you don't need to be a Francophile,n'est-ce pas??!
Merci merci merci!

Dixie said...

if you're from Texas... you just say... "thar ya go"... less confusin'... ;)

Tonja said...

I can get very OCD about 'words', too! One of the biggest GLARING mistakes is the use of 'you're' vs 'your'. That is just basic, don't you think? But, I see it everyday...in personal emails, blogs, even from business ads. Proofreaders?

Diane said...

I just laughed out loud as I read Dixie's repsone! Sounds like Texans and Tennesseeans are much alike! LOL! Admittedly, the voila thing does get to me though. Great post. Thanks Keetha!

Many hugs.......

Diane