Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Putting Pen to Paper

.

Donna is hosting the "Wednesday Poetry Corner" meme.

Since I posted this poem yesterday, I'm going to link to the poetry meme.



Nearly a year ago now, mom left the confines of this Earth. She traded in the infirmities of a body wracked, for more than fifty years, by arthritic crippling and pain. We could not wish her back since we know she is now complete and whole once again.


Mom often sat down and held a pencil or pen between badly misshapen fingers to put words on paper. She had a gift. A gift of words which she shared with us. Dad has had all these words put into a book for each of us to keep.

I thought from time to time I'd share some of her words with you. Today is one such day.



Tell Me, Firefly

Oh little firefly,
Where do you go
When the world gets ready
For winter and snow?

It's only September,
But I don't see your light.
I miss your flashing lantern
In my garden at night.

Did your lamp quit burning?
Are you hiding someplace?
Or maybe you decided
To fly off into space?

Will it be you or your children
Who will brightly appear
After winter is over
And summer is here?

Please tell me your secret --
Oh -- where do you go
When the world gets ready
for winter and snow?

By: Beulah Mae Butcher Heavilin

.

17 comments:

Tonja said...

What a delightful little poem! Such sweet words! How nice that you have all the poems that she wrote! I know that is a special treasure! Thanks for sharing..

kyooty said...

that is very beautiful, and what a treasure to have.

Cindy said...

That is lovely, you mom was talented. I can imagine that poem being words to a children's book about fireflys. We saw our first fireflys this week. Sunday night after our reunion my niece and cousins daughter were chasing them for almost an hour.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Well, gee, usually you make me laugh -- this time you made me cry. What a lovely post. Your mom's poem is so very sweet, and really very good -- I can also see it in a children's book. I don't think you ever really get over losing a parent.

Cass

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing. How sweet to have her work in a book. The poem is really nice.

Lori R. said...

What a precious gift to have her words written for you to enjoy....

Lynn said...

I love that sweet poem!
I often wondered the same thing. Then I moved to the left coast and there weren't ANY fireflies!

LV said...

A very touching post. Your mother was a talented lady. I really enjoyed the poem. I used to do a little poem scribbling, but now my mind does not work as well. Thanks for the kind words about my awards.

britt said...

I loved this! I'm glad I knew her, she was amazing :]

Jessica Morris said...

That is beautiful, and how very, very special to have it all put in a book! I'd love to see more poems she has written :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

Goodness! I've got tears streaming down my cheeks. How lovely you have your mother's writings in a book. Thanks for sharing something with us. Thank you.

Martin LaBar said...

She had some talent.

Thanks.

donna said...

I added your post to my links...thanks so much for participating....loved this one from your mom and am looking forward to reading more.

blessings on your day
donna

Christina said...

What a lovely poem and such a treasure left by your mother. Thanks for sharing.

I remember catching fireflies as a child---there a few of them left around here for my children to find.

Trish said...

Oh, Keetha...what precious memories.
Words written by your Mom and then your Dad making booklets for all of you...lovely.
I will think of you as I watch the fireflies from my back porch swing.
~hugs~
trish

Keetha Broyles said...

AWwwww - - - I feel so special 'cause there are A LOT of fireflies, so you'll be thinking of me A LOT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love this poem, so beautiful! Drew and I stopped to enjoy the fireflies in a field the other evening on the way home...