Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Hunting This Way Comes - A Sunday in My City Post


Yesterday was opening day of gun hunting season here in Central Wisconsin .   There have already been weeks and weeks of bow hunting season.

Now, to MOST of you, this probably means absolutely nothing.

Oh, but my dear bloggy friends, up here on the edge of the frozen tundra where I live, IT IS A HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE deal.

HUGE.
.

Signs of the approach of hunting season have been cropping up all around the place, even taking precedence over other, more important, things.

The world comes to a screeching halt for opening day.  Shoot, (pun intended) it comes to a screeching halt for the entire opening weekend.  

Now, for those of you who are feeling a bit sorry for our furry friends who are being hunted I've only got two things to say to HELP you with that:

1)  The deer herd in this part of the world is LARGE and HEALTHY, due in part to controlled hunting which annually reduces their numbers sufficiently to help the survivors find enough forage for food to endure our long frozen winters.  There is nothing more heart rending than starving deer with legs bloodied from ice crusted snow.

2)  In nature it is all about eat or be eaten.  Sorry for those of you with delicate sensitivities, but that IS how it IS.
.
.

Some of the signs of hunting make me shake my head and HOPE they don't mix the hunting with the adult beverages.

This is Wisconsin.

We are known for cheese and beer.

I can only hope the cheese is consumed WHILE hunting and the beer AFTER.
.
.

You know you're in Wisconsin during hunting season when you are greeted by THIS bright orange display just inside the door of your favorite local super store.
.
.

And the truly eager hunter can't even wait to get to the dressing room to try on his bib and tucker!!!

(Thank goodness his head was buried in the rack so no need to ask his permission - - - I doubt he will even recognize himself should he stumble across this blog, which he won't 'cause he'll be too busy out in his deerstand ALL WEEKEND AND ALL THE COMING WEEK.)
.
.

And up here on the edge of the frozen tundra, it is NOT just the guys who go all wild and crazy over hunting.

Oh non mes amis!!!  The cutest, girliest girls you can imagine strap on their orange hunting togs and head to the woods.

Fisherhubby and I have even heard of camo weddings.

Yes, you head me right CAMO WEDDINGS, where the bridesmaids may have been attired as pictured above.
.
.

And the brides?  Perhaps they wore this, I do not know FOR SURE not having been invited to witness the nuptials.
.
 
And lest we forget the groom and groomsmen, there's plenty of camo for them too.

I wonder, do ALL the camos need to MATCH at a camo wedding?

And that's what's happening in MY neck of the woods - - - what's been going on in yours?

.
.
Joining Unknown Mami
For Sundays in my City.

My city is Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
 .
.
Photo Credits:  Bridesmaid - simplyformal.com 
                       Bride - my-wedding-reception-planning.com
                       Groom - thetuxedostore.com 
.
.

21 comments:

retired not tired said...

I hope only the seer are shot. We have culls here too.

Theresa said...

Lots of hunters around here too! Have a blessed Sunday, HUGS!

Tara R. said...

My dad used to be an enthusiastic deer hunter, so I get this. (He has since turned his guns on water fowl). Even now if I'm out hiking in the woods during deer season, I'll don a touch of blaze orange... just in case.

Tracy said...

While we were watching our football game last night, someone said that they close West Virginia university for the whole week because of hunting season. I had never heard of that before. We have hunting here but our local super store doesn't have that nifty orange color greeting us. Guess we aren't quite as orangey as you are.

Charlotte said...

Gun season has been in for about a month here. My hubby and oldest grandson are "eat-up" with hunting! :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 'eat or be eaten'. Some people think meat grows in trees like spaghetti! :)

Buttercup said...

A friend of mine is out hunting in New York state. Thanks for your nice comment. I like the idea and will d be doing a post later today.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You're a fun lady, Keetha. I like that the hunting outfit has a "bib" and "tucker". Those words are so tame and unmanly.

Be well,
xoRobyn

Unknown said...

Love reading your posts! They always give me a sense of the good ol' Midwest. I do have to wonder though if the father of the bride in a camo wedding is the only one carrying a rifle.

Ann in the UP said...

You have surely captured the madness that accompanies the opening of firearm deer season up here. The orange, the welcome hunter signs, the pole dancers in the bars..... I'm thinking all the fun isn't out in the woods, folks.

Powdered Toast Man said...

When does Bigfoot hunting start? I bought this new rocket launcher I want to try out.

podso said...

Oh yes I know the serioiusness about hunting season from my husband who grew up in PA. They even got off school the first day of the season.

Rebecca said...

I grew up where hunting was a way of life so I get it but I still don't like it. BUT...to each his/her own.

I am frustrated with all the deer carcass that is displayed on my facebook page :(

Anita Johnson said...

My least favorite part of the hunting season? Pulling up to a car with a deer strapped to the back of it in the Pick n' Save parking lot. Good thing is I loose me appetite and buy less I guess. Great pictures.

Erin said...

I thought we had a lot of deer hunting around here, but I think you win! The ORANGE display is really something! I cannot imagine the camo trimmed wedding dress, but to each their own! ;)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

It's a zoo over here!!
Lest we not forget that Jackson County is the deer hunting capital of Wisconsin! My daughter's prom date wore a cameo vest...she was not amused.
Hugs to you Keetha and Happy Thanksgiving too.
Cindy

Joanna Jenkins said...

Camo weddings?!?!? I've officially hear it all.
Happy SIMC, jj

Claudya Martinez said...

Can't say I've ever attended a camo wedding, probably never will.

Vidya Sury said...

Camo wedding eh? Yeah, I find the matching stuff interesting. But I'd definitely like to try on those orange outfits!

Becky said...

I would love to have that wedding dress where can i get one going to have a wedding this summer and I'm looking for a camo wedding dress

Keetha Broyles said...


Becky, I hope you come back here to see this message to you.

You didn't leave me anyway to reach you to answer your question.

There is a link to my e-mail on my profile, if you will e-mail me there, I'll try to give you some ideas.