Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sunday Reruns - Lights Out!

.


It's Sunday again, and you know what THAT means!?! It's time for Sunday reruns!!! Thanks so much to Chari over at Happy to Design for hosting this meme, Sunday Favorites.

I realize Christmas has come and gone - - - but it IS still snowing, and besides, this is, in my most humble opinion, a funny story, so it's my choice for today's rerun.

Enjoy!

The "Joys" of Christmas Lights
(First posted 12/03/07)


A few years ago, Fisherhubby and I decided to break our "forever" tradition of only getting real Christmas trees. Frankly, I was tired. Almost too tired to try to decorate for Christmas. We THOUGHT an artificial tree would be easier - - - you know, no needles and all that.

We used that first tree for several Christmases, but the grass just wasn't all that green on that side of the fence either. I mean, one had to fluff smashed branches and THEN decorate.

Then we had another brilliant brainstorm. Why not get a PRELIT tree. Surely that would be WONDERFUL.

The first year it was. (Though it didn't solve even one fluffing problem.)

The second year, one strand of lights was burned out and it took Fisherhubby HOURS to track down the problem and fix it.

The next year - - - more strands of no-light.

Finally last year, he gave up on making the built in lights in one section of the tree work and added a renegade strand to fill in the gap.

Behold gorgeous prelit tree this year - - -



NOT ONE LIGHT will glow.

True, it isn't all the way set up yet, and no branches are "fluffed," but it's pretty dismal, isn't it!?!

I'll keep you illuminated about our progress - - - - pun intended.

.

16 comments:

Sonia said...

LOL...I think this is a look into my future...I finally bought a pre-lit tree this year on sale...guess this is what I have to look forward to! Thanks for the warning!

Miss Bloomers/Sonia

Debbiedoos said...

I love my prelit tree! One strand went out his year, but easy fix just bought another one to replace it, no biggie!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hahahaha!!! Oh wow, I needed a laugh especially one that rings so close to home! We bought a fake prelit tree 4 years ago--- by now only 1/2 the lights work, so howard just twines in other strands of lights, but it takes me DAYS to fluff all those *$*)#&^)*%-ing branches. I'll sweep up needles any day. Way less work.

Anywho -- have a great Sunday. My dad's back in the hospital w/pneumonia, so that's where I'll be!
Goodnight!
Cass

Diann said...

LOL! I'm lovin' the look of this tree! It has that whole "modernistic, individualist, urban chic, " look! You are such a trendsetter!!

Low Tide High Style said...

Oh gosh! We reluctantly switched to an artificial tree a few years ago, and although ours isn't pre-lit, I understand exactly what you mean about having to fluff and fix before you can decorate! Maybe "real" is better?!

Kat :)

Julie Harward said...

We bought one 2 years ago..if a light goes out the rest remain lite..so far, we haven't had any trouble with it...just watch, next Christmas we will! I can't believe we are talking about Christmas trees...where is spring!!! Come say hi :D

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

What a hoot!!! That pic at the end is a keeper (even if the tree isn't)!
Also, the post below is SO PRECIOUS! Those little faces peeking out of the "car"...and those suitcases are to die for!!
M.L.

Anonymous said...

we always cut our own tree growing up and I did that all the way into my early thirties when it was decided fake was the way to go. I tried to instill a new tradition to take the place of our fun day trekking down a Christmas tree but nothing really fit well in that spot. 2 years ago we went back to a real tree. We wait until a week before Christmas to get it and then it comes down New Years Day. I think the grass is greener on the real side. Your story though is HILARIOUS.

Martha said...

The advantages of faux instead of real!

Yes, the German Baked Pancake is a COUSIN to the yorkshire pudding. We love them both!

Maggie said...

That is a tree only a mother could love! Keetha you made me laugh as usual.
~Maggie~

Anke said...

Oh my, that's a sad looking (can we even call it) tree. Hubby's been pushing for an artificial tree, but I've been holding on to getting a real tree every year. Even though picking up the needles and getting the dry thing back out the door is a major pain...

Carol at Serendipity said...

Keetha,

That is very funny! I know that tree... It is a dilemma. Up north we always had a real tree and I would vacuum needles out of the baseboard heating for months.

In Florida the trees are outrageously expensive and quite dry. So I will stay with my tabletop fake one for the time being. At least I can put it up early so I can write lots of blogs.

Carol

Jojo said...

Every year we talk about one of the pre-lits but my son insists that we get a real tree. I have to say that I love the smell in the house and am always glad that we go to the tree farm.

Costa Rica! Lucky you! That is on my "places to visit" wish list. Can't wait to see pictures!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Mornin' Girlfriend...

Ohhh noooo! You know, I have seriously considered getting a pre-lit faux Christmas tree! Also thinking that the maintenance would be easier. Hmmm...after reading about your poor little tree, I think I've changed my mind! Hehe! Of course, I love the smell of a real tree but they always dry out so fast and then my floor is covered in pine needles...and that's with watering the dumb thing daily! I hate putting up the lights though...so that's honey's job! Seriously, if I had to do it...I wouldn't have a tree! Anyway, thank you for the "heads up"! Those trees aren't cheap and I sure would hate to have problems with the lights from the get-go!

Well Darlin', I hope that you're having a super Sunday!!! Thank you so much for joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites again this week!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

★Carol★ said...

Funny story Keetha! Sounds just like our life too. I try to warn everyone I know to stay away from prelit trees!

Troy said...

While I have to admit, after looking at your photo, your tree has a certain "je ne sais quoi" that our trees always lack, I just can't bring myself to do an artificial tree.

The smell of the tree, along with the experience of getting it and putting it up, are two items on the short list of things I actually enjoy about Christmas.

But I can relate with the frustration of lights that don't work. They just don't make 'em like they used to, do they?