Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Friday, February 19, 2010

I've Been AWOL

.
I've been AWOL from blogging this week.

I didn't see it coming, or I'd have warned you.

I'm not even sure what happened - - - just a busy week I guess. All I know is, it appears I have not posted since Sunday. That's some kind of a record - - - me keeping my mouth shut for more than four days!

Let me give you a little of my famous eclecticity just to try to make up for my AWOLness.

EB 1
That's "Eclectic Bit 1" for those of you who forgot.


(photo from www.examiner.com)
I've been enjoying glimpses of the Olympics this week. I just wish I had ONE athletic gene, all I got were spectator genes.

I love that we've (notice how I include myself in this?) won so many medals.

I find myself RIVETED to the Curling. Yes, you read right, I said the CURLING!!! Who'd a thunk it?


EB 2

This was the sunrise one morning a little over a week ago. I stood on the deck to take this picture thinking the following little ditty in my head:

Red sky at morn,
Sailors forewarn.
Red sky at night,
Sailors' delight.



Being a snow lover, I HOPED this was a sign of white fluffy stuff to come - - - and it was.

If you are a snow hater, I'm sorry. First I'm sorry that you hate this particular miracle of God - - - time released water. Second, I'm sorry that I "hoped" all this snow on you - - - but did I ever enjoy it!!! In fact - - - I hope for more. Let's have winter until spring comes, which is of course in mid-March.


EB 3

On a Friday night during the snow storm, I was sitting here at lappy blogging when suddenly a loud banging on the front door (didn't he ever hear of a doorbell?) made me nearly jump out of my skin.

I went to the door, and there was a man, a total stranger, and a young (ten-ish) boy.

The strange man asked me if I would like a gift and handed me a can of air freshener. He then asked me if I'd give some honest answers to questions about products.

Thinking he was going to ask me a few survey type questions, and feeling sorry for the little boy standing out there in the swirling snow, I asked them to step in.

The strange man said, "just a minute, let me tell my boss in the car that you're letting us in." And with that, he promptly left ME in charge of his ten your old boy.

I brought the little guy into the hallway and began having a fun conversation with him. Really cute, really gentlemanly young man. Bless his heart.

In a minute or so, my front door opened and the strange man came back in with the very same box you see in the above photo - - - box holding "Brand X" vacuum cleaner. (Look on the box in the picture for a BIG CLUE as to which brand is "X")

I said, "Wait a minute - - - I don't want a Brand X vacuum cleaner, I thought you were going to ask me survey questions."

He said, "Do you know about Brand X vacuum cleaners?"

"Yes " said I, "My grandfather sold and repaired them, it is all I grew up with. I don't like them, I don't want to see a demonstration, and I'm not going to buy one."

"Well," said the strange man, "I only need to do one more demonstration tonight and we can go home. Can't I do it here?"

"Nope, I don't want a Brand X vacuum," I said as I began to herd him toward the door.

"Well" says he, reaching for the door knob, "Then may I have my gift back?"

INDIAN GIVER!!!

I was so flabbergasted that I gave it to him.

When Fisherhubby, who had been sitting on the couch out of view but listening to all this, heard the door close he called out, "you're a HARD SELL!"


EB 4


This is little Miss Piper who fell asleep one day sitting in her chair. Isn't she precious?


And here she is practicing up to keep her brother, Mackinley, in line.

Now dear bloggy friends - - - I am on my way to pick up this darlin' little girl AND her brother Macky to keep them for the weekend.

I might be AWOL from bloggyland again. I'm getting OLD and taking care of YOUNG grandbabies takes all my energy and fortitude.

Oh, but it sure is fun.

.

21 comments:

Tonja said...

Hey, Keetha, Have you seen those cool funky colored pants that the curling team is wearing? I figured you had ordered you a pair...I think they have some in a blue plaid!!!!!:)

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe he had the nerve! You are so brave for letting them in. I would have said no thanks! Those things freak me out! And who would buy Brand X?

Cath's Pennies Designs said...

Hahaha, way back when I was young and naive, I let that seller of brand x in. My free gift was a rug shampoo, which of course, brand x had the attachments to make it capable for rug shampoos. The guy only did half my dining room carpet and told me that I could finish it myself when I purchased the vacuum.
Yes, I bought that vacuum. Still have it as an extra but only because it just won't die...I have to admit it's a great vacuum. I love my Dyson.
I excuse you from blogging as long as you come back and make great posts like this again!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

I have that sweeper, because a salesman talked me into it:) I like it, it works ok. Have fun with grands, I know you will!!!

Sarah said...

I can't believe you let them into your house!
Good for you that you didn't cave and buy the thing. You sound like a softy. Bet that's what he thought when you invited him in. LOL
Have fun with the grands. Sounds like more fun than sitting at your laptop.

Toevs said...

You were missed you this week.

Deven said...

Wowzers. My in-laws were accosted in their own home by a Brand X salesman. Not cool.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I wondered where you were. I have been loving the Olympics. I am glued to the TV each night. Good for you, don't buy the X. I wouldn't have even let them in the door! Little Miss Piper is so darn cute. You are blessed. I always say that ditty depending on the sky in the morning or evening.
It's a long time favorite. Have a wonderful weekend. Go Team USA!

Cass @ That Old House said...

oh how lucky you are to have grandbabies! my daughters are SUCH under-achievers!

Laughed out loud at the Kirby vacuum story -- oh my. I didn't know they still hawked vacuums door to door --what a way to make a living, eh? And why drag a little child with you? to seem less theatening? Nuts. One of my brothers is named Kirby, but he is much nicer than a vacuum, mostly.

As for curling -- those stones are cut from Ailsa Craig, a giant rock in Scotland, and I am very fond of them as our first Cavalier spaniel was a beautiful girl named Ailsa Craig! Her breeder had a home near the craig in Scotland.
Curling is probably the only sport I could ever hope of doing at the winter olympics --it's kind of like sweeping the kitchen floor.
Your coffee recipe is intriguing... Cass

Lori E said...

I never, ever open my front door to anyone I don't know. I open my window that looks down to the front porch and talk to them there. In fact I open that window to check who is at the front door first to see if I do know them.
All my doors are always locked too and I live in a small town.

Lori E said...

Oh yes, the fact that he uses a child in gaining entrance to peoples homes is deplorable.

Julie Harward said...

How fun to have the grands for the weekend..have fun! Funny story about the vacuum salesmen with boy...poor guys! LOL Loving the olympics too..such awesome young people! Have a good week and come say hi :D

Unknown said...

I too let a brand x salesman into my house, but was not brave enough to say 'just go!' I didn't buy one--but it was the longest hour of my life.....

Cute picture of the Hulk head and hands in the 'sweet' tshirt!

j said...

Of course I noticed you were AWOL but I thought you might be suffering from Kristen withdrawl too :)

We had a Kirby salesman come by one night. My husband bought into "we'll shampoo a room of carpet" - he knew he wouldn't be buying the vacuum and he held the guy to his offer.

And then a month later he bought a Kirby from another source (much cheaper).

Now I ask you Keetha, what do I need with a Kirby? I certainly hadn't worn out my old one, and a high dollar machine wasn't going to turn me on to housework.

BEAUTIFUL grandbaby, sleepy or green.

Missed you!

kyooty said...

Vacuum salees men still exist?

Ann in the UP said...

Well, that is really low, using a child in the snow to gain entrance to your carpet.

I have a Kirby--about 20 years old by now, that prompted my first huge fight with my husband, and we've hardly had a decent fight since. LOL.

Glad you're back and all is well. We miss you when you get busy.


A in the UP

Martin LaBar said...

Well, that catches us up, more or less.

That's a fine photo of snow on the playground equipment.

Keri said...

She's actually asleep on her Momma in that picture. :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I am proud of you for herding the salesman out of your door. I hate gimmicks. And I cannot believe he asked for the "gift" back that he gave you. Wow!
Piper.....precious!
Curling....loving the olympics! Did you see the hockey? Awesome!
The red sky is gorgeous. I always think of that poem when I see the sunrise.

Tamara said...

I forgot that Grandpa was a Kirby salesman. Whoops! Well, at least you gave a really big hint so my slippage is really your fault!
Mom used to have this ancient Kirby. She used that same vacuum for my entire growing up years. I wonder what happened to it? Remarriage? Anyway, you had to dump the dust and infectious particles out onto a newspaper. They didn't have filter bags back then. I always used to like the dumping out part of the vacuuming process. As a matter of fact, vacumming is still one of my fav household chores.
PS: I'd a kept the can!

Tamara said...

I forgot that Grandpa was a Kirby salesman. Whoops! Well, at least you gave a really big hint so my slippage is really your fault!
Mom used to have this ancient Kirby. She used that same vacuum for my entire growing up years. I wonder what happened to it? Remarriage? Anyway, you had to dump the dust and infectious particles out onto a newspaper. They didn't have filter bags back then. I always used to like the dumping out part of the vacuuming process. As a matter of fact, vacumming is still one of my fav household chores.
PS: I'd a kept the can!