Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Wisconsin Runs Through It

.


A river runs through our town - - - the mighty Wisconsin.


Broad are her banks, wide is her girth, no trickling stream is she.


Deep are her waters,


And clear - - -


No muddy Wabash she.


She is prominent in our geography and in our name.


She is a working river, paper mills dot her shores.

The stacks you see rising beyond this scenic bridge betray one mill's location. Fitting that they should be seen here, for this little island, in the middle of the Wisconsin, was once the home of the Mead family, former Mill Kingpins. I am told it is no longer their domain.


I would not know for certain, for this is as close as I have ever come to Mead Island, not being of their reigning ilk.

I wonder who now wields the scepter.


Perhaps their influence lingers on in our town, I know not, but at least this street still bears their name.

.

10 comments:

Erin said...

Very nice! I've never been to Wisconsin, but I'm learning lots about it on your blog. Once at teacher, always a teacher. :)

kyooty said...

ohhh I've never been in RL. Those stacks? they have something similar in Nova Scotia. :)

Theresa said...

I am learning much more about Wisconsin than I ever knew! Love looking at that river and all of the beautiful pictures!

Happy Thanksgiving week up there! BIG HUGS!

Ann in the UP said...

The Wisconsin River is a mighty force by the time she reaches Wisconsin Rapids. Are there really Rapids near you too? Your pictures are really good, too.

(We finally have a bit of sun here today. Snow in the air, but not enough to accumulate, so far.) But SUN, people! SUN! When have we last seen the sun?

Kristin - The Goat said...

Lovely :) It is so very interesting to learn the families that helped create a town or preserve it, as the case may be. In Lansing the Dart family had a lot of influence. They make Styrofoam cups, the ones we all used to drink coffee from before the fancy paper cups came along lol In Jacksonville we have the Davis family for example. They own Winn Dixie grocery stores and have a huge influence in Jacksonville.

I'm sure the longer you reside, the more you will learn. Can't wait to learn with you!

Kristin _ The Goat

Angie said...

Ah Keetha, I so enjoy touring with you, you tell things so clearly and concisely (makes you sound like the Oxford English Dictionary!). All I ever knew of the Wisconsin River is the line on the map which represents it. You just gave it a life.

Caution/Lisa said...

I'm over from Kristin's blog~

gorgeous pix! There are several paper mills in southern Ohio and we will drive through there tomorrow and know that we are near long before our eyes see the plants. What an odor!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It's a beautiful river. I am really liking your new digs!

KBeau said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures and commentary. Sounds like you live in an interesting place.

From the Kitchen said...

I remember now that Wisconsin is home to some very fine paper! This may be a faulty memory but I think Mead did the Blue Horse notebook paper of my elementary school years. Those blue lines were a huge help to me and the dog never ate them!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,
Bonnie