Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Devil's Elbow

.
It was a dark, drizzly, dismal day with the occasional snow flake hitting the wind shield when we went in search of the Devil's Elbow.

I had been there before. I knew Fisherhubby was going to want to not only find this place, but return later with his boat and bait.


Sure enough, even before we got to the evil elbow, we found access for boats. This is Petenwell Flowage, Wisconsin's second largest body of water covering more than 23,000 acres.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

It took us less than 20 minutes from our front door to this boat ramp. I've seen photos of monster muskies pulled out of here - - - Fisherhubby will be HAPPY when he hooks into one of those.


In fact, even without his boat and bait, Fisherhubby was about to jump straight out of his skin just SEEING all this water. He kept saying, "It's HUGE!"

Then we found the Devil himself and drove down his arm, around his elbow and back again.


When I was a kid, I don't think these guard rails were here.


In fact, if memory serves me right, it seems that in the dead of winter when the ice was frozen solid,


Drivers used to intentionally LEAVE the road, skipping the Devil and his elbow all together,


And take a short cut straight across the lake.

Those were the days my friends - - - long gone except in the memories of old-timers like myself.

I'm pretty positive when this lake gets frozen solid there will STILL be an entire "neighborhood" of ice fishing shanties out there. I'll go back and see along about January.

.

9 comments:

grammy said...

I'm glad you are doing some exploring in your new surroundings. I had just text Greg to see if it was snowing yet.

You know how FB is one of my least favorites; however, we do live smack dab in middle of Seminole & Gator country, so I check the scores. Had to ck out your posted score of Ind. & Wisc. WOW, your team trounced on Ind. I had to read paper to see if that score was not an error...tee hee!!!

nancygrayce said...

I don't like roads like that even down here where they don't get icy! I'm sure I would be panicky driving that!

Theresa said...

Beautiful lake! I know that Fisherhubby is in hog heaven near all of that water! Hope he gets to fish lots before he starts work! I am a scaredy cat, so I will stay on the road and not on the iced over lake! Perhaps that is why they put up the guardrails:) Have a blessed evening! HUGS!

Kristin - The Goat said...

But can the Devil's Elbow touch his ear? LOL That's a mighty big place for Fisherhubby to getaway.

Congrats on that WI win! Holy Smokes, that was a one sided game.

Kristin - The Goat

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It looks like a beautiful area and so close to home. He is going to love fishing there.

Ann in the UP said...

Wowsie! Is that flowage ever huge! Thanks for the link.

Even though we have no shortage of lakes here, we also have backwaters and flowages created by hydrelectric dams. Some say they don't create enough electricity to keep the snow off the wires, but I don't know about that. They create nice fishing holes, for sure.

j said...

I guess you had a wonderful football weekend, yes?

Driving on ice across a lake - you know how to blow a southern girl's mind, doncha?

j said...

Ha! I just re-read my comment. It appears I am in a questioning mood. Sheesh.

lilmomma said...

It's folks like myself that appreciate their adding the guardrail. Feeling those tires slide at all across the ice gives me the willies and ties my stomach in knots...so I smile happily at that guardrail that will scrape and dent the side of our car but keep us out of the frozen lake...p.s. Brunhilda and Borris moved too soon. I have a cute little couple that would love to meet them. Come look.