Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sunday Reruns - How Those Bees Do Spell!!



It's Sunday again, and you know what THAT means!?! It's time for Sunday Favorites!!!

Sunday Favorites are RERUNS - - - if you want to participate, just repost something you previously posted "back in the day."

(NOTICE: This is NOT a current event ;-)

Thanks so much to Chari over at Happy to Design for hosting this meme, "Sunday Favorites."




Bees Which Spell
(First posted on 6/26/2008)


I just watched a rerun of the 2008 Scripps National Spelling bee, which a young man named Sameer Mishra from West Lafayette, Indiana won. Hooray for our side!!!

But the WORDS. Most of these I've never heard of, let alone SPELLED. Here are some of the last words of the competition:

parfleche - hairless preserved rawhide
huapango - Mexican folk dance
rhyton - drinking horn
sheitel - Jewish female wig
nacarat - vivid red
ecrase - crushed texture
posaune - trombone
thymele - Greek altar
oxylophytic - acidic soil loving (plant)
sinicize - modify by Chinese influence
aptyalism - absence of saliva
opificer - skilled artistic worker
hyphaeresis - omission of a sound or letter from the body of a word
kulturkampf - conflict between civil and religious authorities
taleggio - creamy cheese from whole cow's milk
introuvable - impossible to find
esclandre - incident which causes a scandal
prosopopeia - absent person speaking as if present
guerdon - reward

Whew - - - no WONDER I never entered a spelling bee!!!

.

7 comments:

Lori R. said...

Thanks for the word definations on your rerun... I will choose one and use it today as "word-of-the-day".... 83-20 oh my, hope you didn't injure yourself jumping up and down out of your chair so much! and your pics are GORGEOUS.... I love your blog header... God sure made it pretty country up there ♥ Have a great week and glad you are getting settled and having fun...

Lori E said...

I do the New York Times crossword puzzles but have never heard of any of those words.
Yikes.

Kristin - The Goat said...

I can't spell with spellcheck! I also can't pronounce most of those words you listed. Sheesh.

Kristin _ The Goat

Anonymous said...

Smart Kids!
love the picture on your blog with the bridge. Wish I was there right now.

Ann in the UP said...

Those spellers are amazing kids. The lists they get for study must contain thousands of words. I'm always impressed with the number of home-schooled and diverse countries represented by the winners. Bravo for good spellers, (rare as they may be).

Debbie said...

I enjoy watching the clips of those spelling bees. I like to think of myself as a good speller.

That is...until I see those kids!

Interesting words, too.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Girlfriend...

I'm with Debbie...I would like to think that I do pretty good with spelling as well but my...ohhh my...I have never even heard of the words that you listed! I don't think I could spell any of the correctly! So much for me and the chance of ever winning a Spelling Bee! Hehe! In all seriousness, I really admire and respect all the young people who enter the Spelling Bees! Loved your list, Girlfriend...and I am also glad that you added the definitions! I wouldn't have had a clue! Hehe! So happy to see you for Sunday Favorites, Darlin'! Thank you for sharing this fun post with us today!

Have a fabulous week, my friend!
Chari @Happy To Design