Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Cottages These are Not

.

"I've got a mansion,
Just over the hill top,
In that bright land where
We'll never grow old!
And someday yonder,
We will nevermore wander,
But walk those streets that
Are purest gold!"
by: Ira Stamphill


As a teenager, I remember walking through this section of town and feeling like everything around me was a mansion.


I now realize they aren't mansions - - - but they most certainly are gorgeous old homes.


I imagine they have hardwood floors - - - unless someone covered them at some point with carpet. No worries - - - carpet can be removed.


A few of them are brick. But brick is porous and therefore not usually the building material of choice in a climate that frequently reaches 20 below with winter gales.


Wooden clapboard siding makes for better insulation, and with trees so prevalent here it was sensible from that standpoint too.


This one has been converted into a set of condos. I don't think you can tell from this front view just how large and rambling it is.


So here's a side angle. I love all the porches. I'll take a condo on the second floor with a porch along the front, please.


Balconies are very nice too. Can you see that the left side of this house also has a balcony?


This one needs a little tree trimming and a touch of face paint. But I find her very stately just as she is.

Since she is for sale, I spent a little time googling. No WONDER I thought she was stately. This is the tour. Makes me drool.

I hope I know the people who buy her so I can go visit in person. I don't need a mansion at THIS stage in my life, but a visit would be simply grand.

Enjoy!

.


19 comments:

grammy said...

WOW...& these are all in WI Rapids? I'll take the 1st one..boo hoo..no for sale sign. Can we have a vitual tour on the last one? I see a 4-sale sign.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

HI Girlfriend...

I have really enjoyed your tour of homes around your beautiful town! Love, love, LOVE these grand old homes...hey, they're mansions to me! I think the first home is my favorite. I love the tower like turret. Can you imagine what that looks like on the interior? Ohhhh! Beautiful...just beautiful!

Thanks for taking us along on the tour, my friend! What fun!

Love ya,
Chari

Ann in the UP said...

That street represent some major money! What brought all that wealth in Wisconsin Rapids?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

These homes are absolutely beautiful. Each one unique in its own way. The house that is for sale is huge and the cost - OMG!
You would pay over a million dollars here in California and you would be in the sticks for that price, you wouldn't be in LA.

nancygrayce said...

I would love to see the inside of that first one because I totally think I could live there! I did not know that about brick not being good in those temps. Of course, I can't even imagine sub zero temperatures!

Anke said...

Absolutely gorgeous homes!

Kristin - The Goat said...

That last place - the birch trees are so thin,tall and leaning. It looks like a high wind area LOL

Oh my goodness I love the brick houses best. There is just something so lovely about them.

Thanks for the tours!

Kristin - The Goat

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I know right where all those homes are Keetha. And I have often thought how lovely they are and the view is wonderful too!
I like that part of Rapids best!
Hugs,
Cindy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I took the tour! Hey Keetha, I think you could live in half and I could live in the other half. Plenty of square footage there and then we could afford it!
Of course we need a cleaning lady too. hehe
Cindy

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Wow...only $300,000 for that beauty...You certainly get a lot for your buck in your area...You could never find waterfront, beauty, and stately in this area for that amount

Anonymous said...

Boy, I've really enjoyed seeing the cottages and "not" cottages you posted. And $300,000 seems like quite a deal for that last home. I'm with you, tho, too much to clean and keep up.
Some of those little cottages remind me of the area I grew up in...outside Niagara Falls.
THANKS for posting them. I may have to re-visit the pictures again because I'm sure I missed something!

Hugs,
Jan

From the Kitchen said...

Oh I loved the neighborhood tour! Beautiful homes and some very interesting architecture. The perfect abode for all those "cheese heads". Sorry, couldn't resist!

Best,
Bonnie

Nancy said...

It's like walking down memory lane reading your blog posts. A little trivia ... my grandfather built some of the homes along 3rd Street. Years ago, I could identify them, but those brain cells portioned to that particular recall have not been used in years, plus many of them have been remodeled.

Martin LaBar said...

Gorgeous, yes. I've seen similar groups of houses in Michigan and Indiana and Ohio.

Theresa said...

WOWZA, I'll take a tour too:) ALL of these homes are just gorgeous! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Lynn said...

Your blog is full of things I love! Homes, Sunsets, Cheese heads (my daughter is one!), and memorabilia!
The house with the inside tour? The one with the round be-windowed room on the back? I have actually dreamed of this house several times. Do you have any other info on it? Maybe some ancestor of mine lived in it or something!

Weird.

Lynn said...

Oh, and I left you a message on my last post on my blog. :-}

Cindy said...

oh Keetha, what will it be like when our teams play against each other? Wisconsin IS doing so well right now! Argh!

Jewel said...

I love the tree in the front yard of the mansion of condos! I'm sure it was absolutely gorgeous when it was covered in colorful leaves.