Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Robert Lewis Had a First Cousin-Once-Removed Named Dorothy Emily

.

I have long been a D. E. Stevenson (Dorothy Emily Stevenson) book fan. I read and reread them - - - when I can FIND them.

In fact, I would OWN every single one of them so I could read and reread them over and over - - - if I could just FIND them.

Never heard of Dorothy Emily??? Well, that MAY have something to do with the fact that she died in 1973 and her books are rather hard to come by now what with modern libraries culling them from their shelves and what not.

But I'm telling you - - - they are wonderful stories. I find them by doing inter library searches. If you want to try one, I'd start with "The Young Savages" or "Kathryn Wentworth."

Or Miss Buncle. Or Mrs. Tim.

Kathryn was my first D. E. Stevenson book, but the Mrs. Tim books have become my long lasting favorites.


Currently I'm reading "Winter and Rough Weather" which is set in the Scottish Highlands. Quite a few D. E. Stevenson books "live" in the Scottish Highlands.

Yesterday I came across this passage, such good advice for us all - - - even in 2011 soon to be 12.

"Now listen," said Daniel gravely. "Just you listen to me and I'll tell you something worth remembering. When we're young we make our beds and when we're older we have to lie on them. I'd make myself a comfortable bed if I were you -- straight and tidy with the blankets well tucked in at the foot -- then it'll not come adrift when you lie in it. If a bed's not properly made at the start the blankets'll maybe fall off in the night and you'll wake up shivering."

I surely don't want to wake up shivering - - - I think I'll keep making a nice tightly tucked in bed for my life, how about you?

.

9 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Good advice for the day after we found out that the college attending granddaughter quit going to class once she found a (part-time) job. If only each generation didn't have to find out for itself...

So soon old, so late smart.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Excellent advice! I am going to have to look for these books; I love the "old" writers.
I re-read "Little Women" every few years.
I'll let you know if I find any of D.E.'s books.
Merry Christmas, Keetha!
Cass

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I just might have to try to find one of her books. Advice like that is hard to ignore. hugs, Linda

Tami said...

Have you tried Ebay? I read ALOT and haven't come across D.E. Stevenson. I will put them on my reading list. I especially like the classics from Jane Austin.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to do a search for them. They sound right up my alley.

nancygrayce said...

Oh, I wonder if those books can be found in large print. Sounds like my mama would love them! But she has to have large print....or at least her friend who reads to her has to!

tinajo said...

That must be the best advice ever! ;-)

Hope you´re enjoying your days, Christmas is really here soon! :-) Always hard to believe how fast that goes! :-)

Unknown said...

I have never heard of this author! Thanks for sharing! Or if I have, I never made the connection with her more famous cousin.

podso said...

Interesting post and great quote! Some great wisdom comes from novels for sure. Hope your grandson is doing ok. What a lot you have had going on recently!