Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thrifty Vintage Thingies - Silver Servers

.


I've been AWOL from Vintage Thingie and Thrifty Thursday for a looooonnnnggggg time, mostly because I ran out of things of my own to "show off."

Today I'm BACK with a really cool find.

While on one of my summer jaunts to Wisconsin, we had a buffet style lunch at my friend Gwen's home. She had a really cool solution for the "what to do with the flatware on the buffet" problem.

Don't you just hate trying to figure out how to arrange the silverware when you're having a buffet? I've tried all kinds of things - - - using a glass as a silver holder - - - spreading the silverware out in some semi-attractive pattern. But each of these has its own set of drawbacks.

Well, just look at Gwen's flatware serving solution:


Crystal Silver Servers. How cool are these??? I had never seen anything LIKE them, but I want to FIND a set.


There's a little story to go with them that makes them an even BETTER prize.

Gwen found them at a yard or estate sale for little to nothing. I don't remember the exact price she paid, but I believe it was less than $5.

Gwen's sister-in-law, Lois, ALSO has a set, but her's weren't found at a sale, and though she wouldn't tell me what she paid, she raised one eye brow and said, "It was A LOT more than Gwen paid."

.

29 comments:

xinex said...

Cool flatware server, Keetha! I have something similar but mine are longer and the whole flatware goes in. You aren't late for the party, I'm early cause I posted a tablescape so I linked with Susan too. .,.Zchridtine

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a great thing to find. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for those.

Kristin - The Goat said...

Those ARE cool! You came back with a great find.

Poor Lois - the one eyebrow always gives away her true feelings. :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Great find~ I wouldn't have known what those were!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hi Keetha,
Thanks for dropping by recently.
Wow! These little Silver Servers are awesome!!! I NEED some!
Loooooved the darling pics from "Kamma Kamp" below. Especially the 'forehead stickers'...Ha! What cuties!!!

Theresa said...

Well, what a wonderful find! I am constantly looking for things at Estate Sales! I will keep my eyes out for these!

Enjoy your day my friend! HUGS!

Miri said...

These are wonderful...lovely and useful! You're totally right-I never can find a good way to arrange the silverware for a buffet-these are the answer!

Anke said...

I've never seen anything like it, very nice and so much better than what I normally do.

Unknown said...

I need some of those!

ain't for city gals said...

Don't we just love our "thingie's"...never can we get enough of them..

Anonymous said...

Clever person who thought THOSE up! Me thinks me grandma had a set (back in the dark ages) and we used to put marbles and buttons in them. Silverware looks so much nicer!
Sharing is good....thanks!!!
Hugs,
Jan

LV said...

Those spoon holders are just the greatest. I do not recall seeing them. Of course, in my young days, we did good to have a spoon. No use for this fancy holder.

bj said...

I've never, in my looong life, seen anything like these, either. They are WONDERFUL...gonna go over and look on Ebay...maybe we can find some there!~!!

NOW, gotta check out your "YOU TOO HAVE SEX IN YOUR GARDEN" post...if we DID, he must have started without me!! heh heh.....
xo bj

bj said...

ok...you are waaay too cute for your britches !! :>)

shannon i olson said...

Those are great! I would love to have a set....found one that was a lot more than 5$ I didn't by it.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Wow, I'd never heard of those before! (I think that's the 4th or 5th time I've said that this VTT, where have I been?!) What a great idea, love it.

Happy VTT,
Sally

viridian said...

This is such a great idea. I've seen these, but they are rare. Why not more common?????
Happy VTT!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Haven't seen those but what a great idea.

Coloradolady said...

Girl, these remind me of your bone dishes...I'd never seen them and wanted some...same with this!! This is a really neat thing to have! Have a great VTT!

Anonymous said...

If I have ever seen those I had no idea what they were. Very cool find.

Postcardy said...

I never saw those before either.

From the Kitchen said...

I'm just stopping by to say that you really did reach out and grab me with "sex in the garden"!!

Best,
Bonnie

From the Kitchen said...

I wish I could tell you how I found you. Hyacinths for the Soul?? I am especially in agreement with you about what interests you in a blog. For me, too, there has to be some humor, some variety, something catchy. To be honest, I was leery about this blogging when I started about a year ago. I have met really interesting people that I look forward to spending time with every day. I'm happy to add you to that list--especially when I'm up in the wee hours of the morning storm watching!!

Best,
Bonnie

Roslyn said...

Perfect solution I will be keeping watch for some!Like you I have been mostly absent from VTT, very busy summer & nothing that induced me to post!

Jocelyn said...

I love the silver servers. I found a couple at Goodwill a few years ago, and I was so excited. They look just like yours :-)

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Stacey said...

I've never seen these before! What a neat concept. I'd love to find a set for my sister- She adores table scapes.

Ulla said...

I have never seen those things either. I wonder if there is one for knives as well, they are the most difficult to arrange in a nice way.

Nancy said...

These servers are handy little things. I had 3 sets, but gave one set away. I use them often when entertaining, or rather used them (past tense) often ... I don't entertain as much as in the past.

Anonymous said...

Those are very cool and very pretty. I was about to say that I'd never seen these before, but its always possible that I saw them and didn't know what they were. But I learn something every week on VTT - glad you shared them.