Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vintage Thingies Just Right For Thursday

.

Thursday is the day when lots of folks like to share their vintage thingies in a lovely party hosted by our friend Coloradolady. If you want to join in, there's a link at the bottom of this post.

What I have to share today are not my things. I found them in our County Historical Museum and they caught my eye and my camera lens.


Just look at this unusual desk. It has some pretty neat vintage thingies (like stereopticons) on top of it, but right now I'm just interested in the desk itself.

When the two side "wings" are closed, as above, you really can't tell exactly WHAT kind of thingie it is. I just knew it was a thingie I'd never seen before!


Well, wonder no more!!! It's called a Wooten Desk after the Quaker minister who invented it.

I was especially interested to see that Pastor Wooten was from Indianapolis - - - GO COLTS!!!


And when he said he likes a lot of compartments, he means he likes A LOT of compartments.

I don't guess he needed much room for writing - - - not much desk top available for THAT.

Maybe he didn't plan his sermons ahead - - - - - (just sayin')

On closer inspection of the written description I see that the writing desk is supposed to slide out of there somewhere, but is now missing. I guess I better apologize to Pastor Wooten for doubting his sermon planning skilz.

I googled and found some of these whose asking price was $25,000 - $35,000. I don't guess I'll run out and buy one tomorrow.


I found this collection of doctor's pills and potions fascinating.

Not fascinating enough to TRY any of them, mind you.


An old blue cook stove. I think I might like to HAVE one of these.

We grew up with a wood stove in our kitchen and it was WARM and toasty in there - - - especially on the side that you had FACING the stove. ;-)


A great little Hoosier. This one has both a flour bin/sifter and a sugar bin. I've always wanted one of these - - - maybe some day.

I won't paint mine gray though.


Have you ever heard of one of these???? Me neither. But here is one:


I believe it is the rolled undercarriage that gives this cabinet the name "possum belly."

I googled it and found images of some that were way prettier than this one. But those of you that love the distressed look will simply die over this one.

Most possum bellies did have a removable cabinet top and were in fact the predecessors to the Hoosier.

You gotta wonder though, who wants a POSSUM in their kitchen? (Which is REALLY an opossum - - - but that's for the science lesson and not the vinitage thingie party.)

Most of you will probably recognize the milk/cream separator on the front right corner.

You young whipper snappers probably don't know anything about cream floating on top of milk - - - more's the pity.

Well folks, that's all for this go round!

Linking today to
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Over at Coloradolady's lovely place.

.

13 comments:

c. Joy said...

I didn't recognize the cream/milk thingy. Loved the desk - just want I need - something that cost more than a car to put my junk in. (It's beautiful, isn't it?) All your pictures are interesting. Good post.

Tami said...

I love antique furniture. My grandfather re-did a Hoosier cabinet for me, It's gorgeous. I use the top to store wine glasses in and the bottom is filled with tupperware. Not quite what our ancestors had in mind,

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Wow what a view when the desk is open. If I had it I would forget what compartment I put things in!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

That desk would be a great storage unit for crafts - but a tad bit expensive for my wallet!

LBP said...

Oh how I would love to have that desk!! I have never seen one like it.

Thanks for sharing!

Linda

LV said...

You really found some vintage things this time. I would love visiting that place. I never saw some of those treasures and I have been around awhile. Great job.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love vintage thingys! That desk is amazing...wow! I would love a Hoosier cabinet but like you maybe one of these days. Hugs, Linda

Sue McPeak said...

What an amazing desk...I like compartments, too....problem being I can never remember where I put what and end up looking through every compartment. All great stuff you found....I do know about cream floating on milk...I milked plenty of cows, skimmed lots of milk and churned lots of butter. I don't think I'll get to be a whippersnapper!

NanE said...

What great vintage pieces, that desk is amazing! I bet there are lots of hidden spaces in it! My hubby has a desk that has been in his family for generations, it came over from England at the turn of the century and it has tons of hidden spaces! And I love that Hoosier cabinet. Have a great weekend, Nan

Holly said...

Very fun items ... I wouldn't have guessed that was a desk!

Sometimes my husband and I come across antique tools, and he always, always has a way of knowing what they were used for!

Heirloom treasures said...

Oh these items are all so beautiful,I love them all. I do remember cream on top of the milk. Mum used to make us shake it up. If she wasn't around when we opened a new bottle, we would pour the cream off the top onto our porrige. Then she would yell because the rest of the milk was like water,she said. Aaaah you brought back some memories there.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Waooo..it seems Lovely! I like the desk..enjoy these treasures :)

Anonymous said...

There is nothing I love more than a vintage apothecary cabinet!