Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Just a Friday Frag or Two

.

I'm joining up today with Mrs. 4444 and all the other Friday Fragment-ers. Why not gather your wits, come up with a few bits, make a post, and join us!

To learn how, follow the link at the end of this post.

* * * * * * * * * * *

For those of you who are not regulars here, last weekend Fisherhubby and I went to Hayward, Wisconsin to take in the finish line of America's largest cross country ski race - the Birkebeiner.

The Birkie, as it is affectionately known, began in 1973 with fewer than 50 skiers. This year there were 9,200 entrants in the Saturday race alone.


Meet Nickie.

She is holding the trophy she won in 1974, the second year of the Birkie. Here's her story:

Not feeling quite up to the full 52 kilometer race, (that's about 34 MILES, folks) Nickie decided to enter the half Birkie - - - called the Kortelopet.

As she was getting ready to begin the race, her 6th grade daughter rushed up to her and said, "Mom! Tony Wise says you're going to win a trophy 'cause you're the ONLY ONE entered in your class!"

Nickie scoffed. "I'm not going to take a trophy if I'm the ONLY entrant, where's the honor in that if I have no competition?"

Well - - - when Nickie got about halfway into her race (7 miles or so) she was so overcome with exhaustion she didn't see how she could keep pushing one ski in front of the other. She continued doggedly on.

At that point she said to herself, "if I can just finish this race I'll take ANY TROPHY they want to give me!!!"

And she did.


* * * * * * * * * * *


These are my two great nieces that live in Sitka, Alaska.

When Sister Pam sent me this photo (they are her granddaughters) she gave it the title "Little Miss Helter Skelter and Little Miss Prim and Proper Ride Again."

It's 'cause these two particular apples have landed directly BENEATH the old proverbial tree.

I can't find it - - - but there is a photo of Sister Pam and myself when we were about 2 and 3 in which ONE of us is a mess - - - scarf twisted, socks down at her ankles in bunches, shoes scuffed, and slacks so sideways I'm not at all sure how her legs are fitting in there - - - and the OTHER one looks like she just stepped out of a clothing catalog.

I'll let you guess WHICH was Helter Skelter and WHICH was Prim and Proper.


* * * * * * * * * * *


Daughter Korie and her hubby, Chris, took care of our three grans last weekend so their parents could attend a marriage retreat.

Here are the "kids" doing bead crafts (at least that's what it looks like to me - - - I wasn't there.)

The big kid is S-I-L Chris. He's the best, isn't he?


* * * * * * * * * * *


Just so you know, this is NOT a blizzard.

According to Wikipedia:

A blizzard is a severe snowstorm characterized by strong winds. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or ¼ mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.

Of course, the TV weathermen make ANY significant, or even insignificant, snowfall SOUND like a blizzard.

This gets Fisherhubby "going." He'll look out and say something like: "This is the WORST powdering we've EVER had!!!"

Well, THIS winter has not even been winter. But yesterday we did get this pretty snowfall - - - and I was THANKFUL even if it WASN'T a blizzard!

Come to think of it - - - in all my years growing up here on the "frozen tundra" I don't think I've EVER seen an actual blizzard. Heavy snow? - yes. Short moments of white outs? - yes. MINUS 52 degrees? - yes. Blizzard? - NO.


* * * * * * * * * * *


Mommy's Idea

Head on over to Mrs. 4444's place
And check out all the other Friday Fragments.

.

18 comments:

Tracy said...

I remember a really bad ice storm in the early70's in Wisconsin button blizzards. The only blizardive been in was in Oklahoma a couple of Christmas ago. 15 inches blowing wind and they closed the entire interstate system down in the state. I think every church canceled Christmas eve services.

podso said...

That is interesting that you haven't seen a blizzard ever. the kids are so cute!

Anonymous said...

I certainly remember the blizzard of '78 in OH! Whiteout conditions and high winds. We were young marrieds and farming...I remember we had to dump lots of milk because there wasn't storage and the milk truck couldn't get in for several days. We missed a ton of school days. (it wasn't fun making up days later on Saturdays).

nancygrayce said...

I certainly would have taken the trophy! :)

A blizzard in the eyes on the beholder......two flakes of snow where I live is a major blizzard!

Actingbalanced said...

Here in SC if there is even a hint of snow or ice it causes school closures and major panic... Of course it's because they don't own any machinery to help deal with difficult road conditions and we travel by taking a series of bridges which can get hazardous fast... but it's really funny to a girl who grew up in Canada...

Wayne W Smith said...

What a great story about the nature of competition!

Unknown said...

I have no desire to see a blizzard. Or 52 below. Thanks, but I leave those adventures to you.

Claudya Martinez said...

I love Nickie's story and I say there is honor in finishing. I applaud your stance on not commenting on blogs that require WV. Lately, since Blogger switched over to a more squiggly format, my eyes have been crossing.

Kay said...

I would happily take a trophy for that race, even if I was the only one. Heck, I want some gold star for jogging the mile I did this week... sad huh?? ;-)

Ah, your snow looks lovely! We got none this year, none. So sad.

Any guy willing to do beads with girls is a good guy! Hands down.

Empty Nester said...

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today! I'm following you now and I'm looking forward to getting to 'know' you! I would give just about anything for some snow. Although we rarely get any, when we do I just LOVE it! But that -52 degrees you can keep up there. LOL

Theresa said...

I actually won a ribbon for second place in a walk for charity, there were only TWO of us in my age bracket:) I took the ribbon too!

Love seeing your snow, doesn't look like we are gonna have a blizzard OR a dusting this year!

Enjoy your weekend, HUGS!

Traci Marie Wolf said...

I cannot imagine skiiing for 7 miles. It's funny, my thighs are hurting just thinking about it.

Cute kids. I love that kids in the same family can have different personalities. My niece and nephew are the same way. She is a tornado and he's so quiet, you can barely tell he's in the room.

I'm glad you understand how I feel when I say we haven't had winter either. The weather has been in the 70s and 80s. I'm OVER it. We had some gloom and rain for a few days and it was nice. I'm glad you guys are not dealing with blizzard weather. That doesn't sound fun.

qandlequeen said...

I've recently seen where someone took pictures of them and a sibling as children and reenacted the poses as adults - absolutely funny. You and your sister should try that. :)

Hootin Anni said...

Love the 'big kid' in the picture...he's my kinda guy...getting right down in amongst the fun.

Oh, and yes...seems that most storms are always the 'worst storm ever' according to the media these days.

Stacy said...

Well, now I'm quite depressed. I live in the mountains of SW Pennsylvania and I've seen a few blizzards. That we have yuckier weather than Wisconsin is demoralizing. (just kidding) ;)

Keri said...

HA! That's too funny about Carson & Morgan! I'm jealous of your "blizzard".

Keri said...

WAIT. How did you end up with a picture of her?! Did you go back and find her??

42N said...

And to think that on Tuesday the temperatures will be near 60F!