Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thrifty Vintage Thingies - "Teas" are a Few of My Favorite Things

..

I'm linking today with Vintage Thingie Thursday at Coloradolady and Thrifty Thursday at Bloggeritaville.












Be sure you click on both of the above links to check out what everyone else is posting.

I have not participated in these memes since February. Part of the reason was time - - - school kept me really busy and I just didn't have the energy, or creativity, to come up with posts each week.

The other part of the reason is that, to be honest, I've already shown all my thrifty vintage thingies!!! Then it dawned on me - - - many of you are new to these memes and what is a rerun to me will be new for you!

So, without further ado, I am reposting:


"Teas" Are a Few of My Favorite Things

I realize "things" really aren't very important. They have no eternal value. And yet I confess, I do have some favorite things - - - little treasures.

All of these things are vintage - - - to a degree, some to more degrees than others. For some of them I paid full price in an antique shop and others were given to me. I HOPE that averages out to thriftiness.


Way up there on my favorites list are "tiny fine china tea things." This is one of my antique children's tea sets. It is large enough to be what I would call demitasse.



I found this little set in Monterrey, Mexico about 15 years ago. It is glazed pottery and each mug is about an inch high.


Demitasse teapot with matching sugar and creamer.


I bought this set new in 1997 - 13 years ago - so I guess technically it isn't an antique yet, but it isn't new either. So what is that? "Newtage" or "Vinnew"??? How about "Newtage Vinnew"



Who wants to come have a tea party with me? I think we could just about make two cups in this little rosy gem. It is also "Newtage Vinnew"



Sometimes when we're on vacation I look for new treasures. I found this one in an antique mall during one of our infamous summer treks to Hayward, Wisconsin.


This demitasse cup and saucer was a gift from my friend Vangie. The child's "toy" tea cup and saucer is an antique, it was made is occupied Japan.



Straight from Cracker Barrel - - - a china tea-spoon.


The rest of these pictured items are all antique demitasse sugar and creamers. This one is English china covered with a gold glaze and and nestled on a matching leaf tray.



From one of my Hayward trips.



These violets are way up on the top of my favorites list,
And also came from Hayward.




This was my first demitasse set. It was given to us as a wedding gift by my Aunt Janet. I guess it's probably an antique by now, being nearly 35 years old! If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you will see that I managed to break the creamer. I can't remember now how I did that - - - but I know it was all my fault, and I know it makes me sad. :-(

By the way, the dresser scarf upon which they are sitting was embroidered by my paternal grandmother as part of her hope chest.

Her hopes and dreams were granted - - - she had 13 children and raised them all - - -right through the depression. Oh, but THAT my dear readers, is fodder for ANOTHER post, don't'cha think?

.

33 comments:

Lori E said...

As pretty and interesting all of these pieces are it is the dresser scarf that I find irresistible. What a treasure that is to have. I only had one thing passed down to me from my grandparents and that was stolen when my place was broken into 35 years ago. I never even knew my grandparents.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I enjoyed seeing all your treasures. Thanks Keetha!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They are all so pretty. I was just talking about my teapots to my daughter. I actually have a few bins in the garage that I haven't unpacked (3 years now) and I am sure that the lids to my teapots have to be in one of them. I haven't diplayed my teapots since they are missing their lids. I have some nice crocheted pieces too! Thank you for sharing them again.

LV said...

My goodness you really have a nice collection of tea sets. They all are very pretty. No, the one I featured today is not a child's.

Coloradolady said...

Well, these are just splendid! I love the ones with the purple and pink flowers....now do I have to say if I remember these or not???

....I refuse to comment on that!! But my, am I impressed with your collection! Splendid!!! Have a great VTT!

Charlotte said...

My favorite collectibles-teacups and teapots. Beautiful collection.

JudyBug said...

Love all your teasets!I had to laugh about the spoon...straight from Cracker Barrel. I have the same one!!

Teresa~ Gardening with Soule said...

Love love love the ones with the violets. Soooo pretty.

Maureen said...

The violets and pinks are the prettiest! So fine and delicate.

helenabelle said...

What a nice collection. I know it isn't vintage but I really like the sweet little spoon from Cracker Barrel.

Unknown said...

I'm into tea, too! How pretty and delicate those look!

Ann said...

Each and everyone of these sets are lovely. My favs are the violets and the gold covered demitasse is striking.
Happy VTT
Ann

Paulette said...

Okay, if this is a scheme to get me to go thrifting/antiquing in northern Wis. this summer, it's working! I really can't pick a favorite because I just kept scrolling down and falling in love with the next one. Lovely to see them all!

Jane said...

Hi Keetha!
I love your tea collection. Tea time was a mainstay when I lived in PA and TX. In both locations, my friends dropped in for tea all the time. Here is FL, we tend to drink coffee or iced tea...sweet with lime. Sadly, though, few friends drop in. I guess life is too crowded.

Thanks for stopping by tonight. I had a lot of fun with that red and black crab...
Smiles,
Jane (artfully graced)

Danylle McLain said...

Wow! What a fantastic collection of teas! I am feeling kinda whimpy on my 3 little plate collection, compared to this!:)
{I loved the satalite light on that picture also! We could have tea there and stare into space, don't you think?}

Love your blog banner, by the way! Happy to have met you through VTT!

Susie's country cottage said...

It is so nice to see some of your china collection. I love the pink roses tea pot, its perfect for afternoon tea in an English rose garden!
Susie

Ulla said...

Lovely collection. I love the violets in both sets you have.

Lori R. said...

How pretty and special! It seems like a little bit of your history. Love it that you stuck little notes in (when you bought it, price). I started doing that in a few of my pieces so my kids know why the piece was so special to me.

Robert said...

Yes they are pretty...I suppose (being a man tea sets aren't my thing) ....I do like old china and cups. have you seen a mustache cup....I have a couple of old ones...I will try to post pictures of them on my blog......probably take me a while though. Thanks again

Tammy said...

ohhhhhhhhhh, I would love to have tea at your house with all those pretty dishes.

Vonlipi said...

I love your tea collection. It reminds me of my maternal grandma. We used to have tea at her house all the time with lovely cups.Thanks for sharing!

Janet, said...

Oh, I love them all. But especially the ones with the violets on them. They are beautiful.

Susan Freeman said...

What a fabulous collection!! Love them all.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Roslyn said...

My weakness uh well ONE of them, is the dainty china! I think I will have to begin reporting soon too, Keetha.
BTW, every time I see your name I will pray for just the right job & benefits!
Hugs

Unknown said...

What sweet items...LOVE the viloets and lily of the valleys :)

Blessings!
Gail

concretenprimroses said...

So many pretty thingys! The little mexican set may be my fave. I could collect tea pots if I let myself, cuz I love them.
Kathy

Stacey said...

What a great post with lots of pictures! The violet set is my favorite...

Anonymous said...

I love all the ones with violets!

Marigene said...

You have a very nice collection, my favorite is the violet set.

Debbie said...

You have some beautiful pieces. I really like children's tea sets and your white one is very nice.

Troy said...

The term Newtage is reminiscent somehow of the offspring of small squirmy creatures one finds in a swamp.

I prefer the term Prospective Vintage myself.

Anonymous said...

oh the set from Mexico is my favorite but I do like them all. I have a china teapot and I use it often however, I don't have any fancy cups, saucers, or sugar/creamer things.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

ANother beautiful and interesting post! I love your collections! I really love the mexican ones!