Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lake Aire Supper Club in My City

.

Supper Clubs are a Northern Midwest phenomenon, they are mostly found in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Originally they were a "destination" dining experience. One arrived at cocktail hour to imbibe (if one was an imbiber, which THIS ONE is not), moved into the dining room for supper, and then stayed into the evening for entertainment.

Traditionally they only opened around 4:30 or 5 for supper and each table was served a relish tray on a lazy susan rather like tables are served with salsa and chips in a Mexican restaurant. Today some supper clubs also offer a Sunday brunch buffet.

Yesterday, Dec. 30, was my birthday and it was a wonderful day - - - mostly because I planned each part of it for myself.

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do when she doesn't think anyone else is going to plan a birthday bash FOR her. Hehehehehe

I planned to have lunch with a friend, she planned to pay - - - thank you very much, Sheri!!! We had a delightful lunch at one of my favorite places.

Then at supper, I planned to try Lake Aire Supper Club. I also planned to invite our friends Bill and Eloise (E-Lois) to go with us.

Fisherhubby had been to Lake Aire for a business meeting and was duly impressed with their steaks. I had just been waiting for the right special occasion to give them a try.

No "fast food" here my friends - - - and no "fast food" prices either.


I was impressed with everything about Lake Aire.

Linen tablecloths and napkins. (Not covered with chintzy plastic either - - - I watched them put on clean fresh tablecloths between diners.)

China and silverware

Friendly efficient service

Absolutely delicious food - I had scallops, lobster tail, and potatoes O'Brien. I don't know WHY I didn't think to get a picture of that!


And everywhere, including the entry way, lovely atmosphere


With the personal decorating touch of the owner.

I know - - - I asked.


And look at these darling little skates!!! I think I need to find a pair just like this to go with my Christmas Skates story that I shared last week.


Thanks to Unknown Mami for hosting
"Sundays in My City"
To which I am linking this post.
My City is Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin


.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of supper clubs...sounds fantastic! Looks like it was a fun way to spend a birthday. Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!

nancygrayce said...

My in laws were in several supper clubs and loved that.....us well not so social. But everything certainly looks beautiful!

nancygrayce said...

Oh, Happy Birthday! And I'm confused....is the place called the supper club? It's late and I should not be commenting! :)

Cathy said...

Sounds like fun, we do have some here in Texas. I like your idea about planning your party, HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,
Happy New Year!!!

Charlotte said...

There used to be supper clubs years ago in Charlotte,NC, but i have never been to one :-( Happy late Birthday and Happy New Year!

Wayne W Smith said...

Happy birthday! What a nice treat for your special day. I love your description of the event.

Unknown said...

I recall something vaguely like supper clubs in Michigan. We often travelled there in the summer as a child. My parents liked the concept, a lot. Happy (belated) birthday!

Anke said...

Happy Birthday and a very happy new year! Looks like you planned everything just right. ;-)

Tara R. said...

A supper club sounds lovely, and Lake Aire looks amazing.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Happy belated birthday!!

A Supper Club, too cool sounds like something out of a 1950's movie. very interesting!

Tami said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year! I look forward to getting to know you better in 2012. The supper club looks gorgeous and festive. And I agree about the skates… I SO want them!!!

Claudya Martinez said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like it was wonderful. Your meal is exactly the sort of meal that I dream about. You should plan my next birthday for me.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

My husband and I found ourselves near Lake Geneva and in a supper club one Columbus Day weekend a while back. I was surprised at the fond memories it brought up from my readers and friends.

I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs, and I did not know of supper clubs. But my Wisc friends? Yep!

Happy Birthday + two days,
ellie

Maude Lynn said...

What a lovely place! Happy Birthday!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Happy Belated Birthday Keetha!
It wasn't until I was quite grown-up that I realized not everyone in this world knew about supper clubs! hehe.
Wisconsin is still full of them although this one looks on the nicer side than most I see.
Hugs,
Cindy

I can't find my blog said...

What a fun way to spend your birthday! Glad it was happy! xoxo

Traci Marie Wolf said...

I've always heard about supper clubs but I've never been to one. I'd like to try it, I love unique dining experiences. I'll have to google if we have one here. I clicked on the link you provided and looked at the menu (yum!) and noticed no prices. I've always known, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. ha ha Happy New Year Keetha.

Ann in the UP said...

I'm with Cindy. I never realized that supper clubs were a local phenomenon, either.

Your birthday bash---all day--sounds like the perfect way to celebrate your birthday doing what you love to do all day long. I'm glad it was a happy day, and I wish you a great many more of them.

Happy New Year, too. And I hope we're delighted with the outcome of today's game! I'm gonna go put on some red clothes, just in case I'm not doing my share by praying for the past 30 days. (I'm not convinced that the Lord is a Big Ten fan, actually.)

Vidya Sury said...

Lovely photos from a lovely lady. Many happy returns of the day, Keetha! May you enjoy a 2012 that's everything you wish for!

Erin said...

Sounds really neat! Now I want to check out a supper club! Happy birthday!