Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

This Little Light of Mine

.
Years ago when Fisherhubby and I were still a two horse town, er I mean two child family, we spent three months living and working in Haiti.

It was a wonderful experience and I could tell story after story - - - - but not today.


Today I just want to show you "this little light of mine". It was made by some Haitian hand out of an empty condensed milk tin and other scraps of tin. It can be filled with oil, and there is a thick wick made of some natural fiber inside.

The opening at the top USED to be cylindrical - - - -before our children teethed on it.

Little lamps like this are used all over Haiti to light homes. Electricity is only available in certain places, and even those places don't have a regular supply of it like we do here.

I bought this little lamp to bring back to the States as a reminder of how very fortunate we are in the land of the free and the home of the brave.


For years it was "lost" rattling around in a drawer.

I happened upon it the other day, brought it out, dusted it off, and found a prominent "home" for it in our house.


Now it is sitting atop my china cabinet where I will see it, cherish it, and remember.

Remember the wonderful summer we spent on the Haitian island of La Gonave.

Remember the Haitian friends we made.

And most of all, remember that I am truly blessed.

.

14 comments:

Terra said...

How lovely to hear the story of this little lamp, and I hope you do some posts on your time in Haiti.

Traci Marie Wolf said...

What a sweet memory. :-)

Lady Jane said...

Great story! It is always nice to have a reminder that we are truly blessed. That is quite a gadget and that was funny. I could almost see your children teething on it....

podso said...

Great post!

Diana Lesjak said...

Would love to hear more about your time in Haiti~ We are blessed!

Mrs4444 said...

Great idea. It has a lot of character, too.

Lana Kim White Austin said...

1. Yes, we are truly blessed here beyond measure in the States. Even the "poor" here are vastly different than in third world countries. My cousins are missionaries in Africa and I grew up with the concept of knowing about "the rest of the world." I wish EVERYONE would spend time abroad in a third world country to truly understand, let alone to HELP. I loved this post and your little light from Haiti!
2. The BRATS in your other post made me gain 10lbs just looking at them!!!!

Hugs/blessings,
Lana

Ann in the UP said...

How interesting! I, too, look forward to hearing more about your time in Haiti. It is always good for us to have reminders of how wealthy we are in comparison to a lot of the world. It is so easy to forget in a culture of covetousness.

I can't find my blog said...

Love it! You have had some really amazing adventures in your life. I always love to hear your stories.

And yes, we are blessed!

Kristin - The Goat said...

You are truly blessed.

42N said...

Great story. Glad you saved a bit of Haiti to remind you and us of our good fortunes.

Deven said...

La Gonave is where my BIL does his mission trips. He's recently started a ministry called Decaid. The goal is to adopt 10 villages on LG and provide them with medical care, sanitation helps, water, etc. over the next 10 years.

Barb said...

Did I know you had been in Haiti? It is an amazing country! My daughter's passion has been Haiti since she was 16 (now 30) and son-in-law is Haitian. She currently works for World Wide Village which operates in Haiti.

Have fun at camp! I'm finding that Girl Scout camp wears me out a lot faster these days!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing this story about your little light.