Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rerun of a Sunday in My City

.

I found an old post to "rerun" for Sunday Favorites that I wrote about my city long before I knew I'd get to move back here. I am using it for TWO Linky parties today. You will find the links and party "buttons" at the end of this post.

Sunday Favorites didn't run last week, so I'm connecting this post to the Linky Party on June 12.



Stompin' Grounds
(First Posted on 9/01/08)


Junior High.

High School.

First boyfriend.

Learning to drive (in the SNOW I might add)

For me, all these things happened in Wisconsin Rapids - - -


A pretty little city located on the banks of the Wisconsin River.

Please excuse me while I get all nostalgic and sappy. I am sitting in a hotel right in my beloved Rapids so I have every reason.

Truth be told, we went out to capture these photos yesterday afternoon and I was MUCH sappier then.


When, once upon a time, I LIVED here, this riverside park was a row of storefront buildings. This time they did the "take a paradise and put up a parking lot" thing in reverse. Isn't it lovely?


Lovely and a memorial to our Veterans.


Thank you all who have paid for MY freedom. I DO realize it is not free.


Funny how time changes things.


I remembered this part of town as being much bigger and much busier. Isn't it peaceful?


I'm sure the REAL name of this building is NOT "The White Flat Iron Building," but that is all I know to call it. Isn't it the coolest?

Later addendum: It's the Ahdawagam Building and I SHOULDN'T be surprised, that was also the name of our HS Yearbook!


Love the details on this doorway.


Here's where I start to get REALLY sappy. My High School - - - Lincoln High. I was only a little insignificant speck of a student among 2400 others - - - but I managed to carve out some fabulous memories.

Two musicals.

A supporting role in "Up the Down Staircase" and the lead in "His Wife the Midnight Trumpet Player."

Choir and Swing Choir. (We had the BEST EVER music department at good ole Lincoln and I kid you not one bit! I mean, we even sang Schubert's Mass in "G" for pity sake - - -IN LATIN - - - FROM MEMORY no less) Thank you Coach Cleworth!

Campus Life

Ball Games

And oh so much more!!


Today Lincoln is a Junior High. More's the pity - - - the new high school can't hold a candle to this one.

Can't, I say, CAN'T.



Doesn't it just make you want to break right out in the "Pledge of Allegiance" or "The National Anthem"????


Oh - - - and here I get the most teary-eyed of all. This WAS our home football field. I NEVER missed a home game - - - - except one. Only it wasn't just ANY old football game, it was the game with our ARCH RIVALS, Stevens Point. That battle was for the "Old River Jug" and THAT is BIG STUFF my friends.

But one year I had to miss it because I got grounded by my mom for leaving hair in my hairbrush that morning. Yes, you heard me right - - - hair in my hairbrush.


So while Sister Pam got to see the WHOLE game live and in person, all I got to see was this score board through the fence for the last few minutes of the game while we waited in the car for the game to end so we could pick her up.

No - - - I'm not in the least bit bitter.

Not in the least.



And this is a tree resting it's weary trunk on the surface of Lake Wazeecha, our favorite summertime place to idyl. But I've already TOLD that story here.

Thanks for joining me today as I wandered down memory lane.


Here are the linky parties I am joining:


Thanks so much to Chari
For hosting "Sunday Favorites"
To which I am linking this post.


AND


Thanks to Unknown Mami for hosting
"Sundays in My City"
To which I am linking this post

.

18 comments:

tinajo said...

I love to see this - and that building was wonderful! Ehum; I´d be grounded every day on those grounds - still leave hair in my hairbrush... :-D

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine going to such a large high school - I moved schools a bit, but the largest of the 3 I attended had a mere 350 students!

Thanks for sharing your story. You grew up in a beautiful part of the world.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how childhood places look much smaller than they were when young. Same happened to me when we moved here in Helsinki to this place - I used to live the house next to us when I was under 7 - now all those big buildings etc. look so small... :)
Have a good week ahead!

Ann in the UP said...

Whoa and I thought my parents were strict. Beulah ran a tight ship!

mimbles said...

The White Flatiron Building is fabulous and I love the shot of Lake Wazeecha.

Have a great Sunday!

Tara R. said...

You recaptured some wonderful memories on your visit home. The park is lovely.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful place to grow up. I love it : ) Thank you for this little tour. I can't imagine learning to drive in the snow. I guess that is normal though since you guys have snow about 11 out of 12 months a year : ) Or so it seems!

Claudya Martinez said...

So glad you reposted this. It was a lovely little tour of your beloved city.

If your mother had been mine, I would have always been grounded. My hairbrush always has hair in it.

urban muser said...

i love that white flatiron building!

Rebecca said...

Yep, I love the white flat iron building too. Gorgeous and different without leaving me uneasy!

Soapbox Girl said...

I loved being able to reminisce with you.

Diana Lesjak said...

Looking back at such fond memories... what could be better? What a beautiful city. I enjoyed your memories today~ thanks for sharing!

tinajo said...

He´s not home just yet but will come home later today - can´t wait! :-)

Decorating Lady's Humble Abode said...

It is so much fun going back where you grew up and seeing what has changed around you. I was raised in Los Angelos county and I learned to drived on the freeway right from the start...what were they thinking in drivers ed.? Love all of the pretty pictures of your home town. Thanks for the guess of my butter press and the email. My blog name is Decorating Lady's Humble Abode sorry you forgot it. Thanks Decor. Lady

Anonymous said...

What a nice tour. Loving the flatiron building. Great post and photos. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Traci Marie Wolf said...

What lovely memories. It's so green and pretty there.

Kristin - The Goat said...

Love those flat iron buildings and that one is, dare I say, cute! Grounded for hair? Oh goodness. Well, you never forgot it, did you? guess it worked.

I think you're pretty happy that you are back in WI. Yep, I think you are ;)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Keetha...

How are you doing, Girlfriend? Sheesh...seems like ages since we have chatted...hope my note is finding you and your family all doing well, Darlin'!

Well my dear, I just loved this repost about your old stompin' grounds! I bet it really DID feel like going home when you moved back. I'm soooo happy for you! Thank you for sharing your sweet trip down memory lane with us today! I enjoyed your stories and beautiful photos! I think it's fabulous that the town created such a beautiful park at the riverside! Girl, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you were "the star" of two musicals! You just have the most beautiful and bubbly personality! Hmmm...not sure what to say about you missing the football game because of leaving hair in your hairbrush! Sorry! Love, love, LOVE the old Flat Iron building...the architecture is gorgeous!!!

This was such a fun post, my friend...thanks so much for sharing it with us for the party this week!

Love ya,
Chari