Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

"Community" in My City

.


I spent the bulk of Thursday this week volunteering at an outdoor community fundraiser.


Don't'cha know it was the COLDEST day since the day we had nine inches of snow back in May. It was cold enough that I sat huddled under a blanket for most of the time. It was so cold it gave a whole new meaning to the term "cold cash." (I was collecting and organizing the money.)


The event was a brat fry.

Oh, we had hot dogs and hamburgers too, but the STARS of the show were the brats. They were mouth-watering good!

Wisconsin is all about brats.

Brat is the shortened form of bratwurst. Brats are fat, succulent, German sausages that are "to die for yummy" when grilled.

Brats are the soul food of Wisconsin. ( I didn't make that up - - - I'm not smart enough. I FOUND it over on bratwurst pages dot com.)


Our brat fry was a fundraiser for National Night Out, which will be held in our church parking lot on August 2, 2011.

National Night Out is a national (DUH) event designed to strengthen neighborhoods by engaging in stronger relationships within the community and with local law enforcement.

Here in Wisconsin Rapids, our church partners with law enforcement to sponsor a huge community "block party" complete with emergency vehicle displays, creation of free safe-assured IDs for kids and a potluck dinner on the grounds.

So, grab your lawn chair, a covered dish, and join us!


Since the brat fry was for a community event, two of the players from our Northwoods League baseball team, The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters, came to help "drive" in business.

Meet Jordan and Nestor. What great young men.

Jordan is from the DC area and Nestor hails from New York City. Both are using their summer, between two years of college, to play ball. Jordan will be a Junior, possibly at William and Mary, next fall. Nestor will be a sophomore at Ball State, where our own College-Boy son Kyle will be a senior.

No - - - Kyle and Nestor don't know each other, I asked - - - even though Ball State is a BIG place and I knew the chances were slim to nothing.


The team mascot, Rosco P. Rafter came along too.

Unlike Mike Wilbon, I LOVE mascots. Rosco is hands (paws?) down the cutest and most fun River Rat I've ever met.



Take a peek at him in action.


Of course I had to pose with the Rafters. Rosco gave me rat ears.

It was a great day for a little "community" in my community.



Thanks to Unknown Mami for hosting
"Sundays in My City"
To which I am linking this post
My city is Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin



Photo Credit: Brats from grilldecency.com

.

17 comments:

Jojo said...

In spite of the cold it looks like it was such a fun day for all. You look really cute with rat ears!

Pam said...

And to think if that fundraiser had only been held one day earlier, you all would have been sweltering! I caught in the clip that this is just the 2nd season for the Rapids Rafters - do they draw a good hometown following?

Tara R. said...

Looks like the fundraiser was a success. Loved the 'rat ears' and love grilled brats.

urban muser said...

(not sure if my first comment was saved, trying again)

looks like you had a great day!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Even if it was cold it looks like a fun time. River Rat ears and Brats! Winner!!

Grace said...

I love it when a community bonds together and works on events like these.
You look like you enjoyed yourself despite the cold and the rat ears was just an added bonus eh?
http://www.blessedelements.com/goinggreen/?p=2695

Lisa said...

You know what they say: "NO good deed goes unpunished!" :)

It looks like a good time in spite of the cold weather.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I bet the kids just loved having Rosco there. Looks like a fun time.

tinajo said...

That is so nice, I love things like this! :-)

Bill Lisleman said...

brats and beer are two great Wisconsin gifts to the world. Your woods and lakes are nice too. I'm not big on cheese. I'm sure it will be warmer than you care for very soon.

Claudya Martinez said...

I want one of those brats right now. I'd even brave some cold to get one.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

That fund raiser looks great! Those brats look delish! I love these things, I sometimes go for it at a hospital fund raiser for the poor, we sell American food in an American stand! Thank you for the nice comment on my girls! Lots of hugs. FABBY

Formerly known as Frau said...

You had me at Brat!! I never in my life thought I would line up for a brat until living in Germany! Brat and beer I blame for at least 20 of the 40 pounds I gained living there! Sounds like a great day despite the cold!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Cute, happy shots. I bet Rosco wasn't cold in that costume.
BBQ'd brats look yummy.
xoRobyn

Anonymous said...

I hope you have defrosted. What a great day to share in some community spirit. I wish we had something as comprehensive as national Night Out here, it would make my job so much easier.

Amy DM said...

I've done many a fundraiser in cold weather and know all to well how cold cash really does get. :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I LOVE that Rosco gave you rat ears - How funnY! Brats are very yummy and goodness, I haven't had one in ages.