Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Friday, May 6, 2011

All the News That is News Here at the Back Forty

.


The Easter Chipmunk likes it so well here at the Back Forty that he has decided to stay.

Unfortunately he's only into delivering candy eggs on that ONE morning of the year, so there have been no new surprises on our dining room table.


Fisherhubby hung a bird feeder and a suet block from one of the trees on the Back Forty.


Ma and Pa Goldfinch have found it and are enjoying taking their meals at the Bird and Breakfast, aka the B & B.

The B & B twirls around and around from the force of a landing, so it's like having lunch on a merry-go-round or at the top of the Seattle Space Needle.

They don't seem to mind.

We also have a pair of Brown Thrashers, a chickadee, the occasional Downy or Flicker, and a couple of Nuthatches who drop in for lunch or dinner at the B & B. However, they are far too camera shy to pose for a photo.

I'm trying to be a bit subtle and catch them unawares but I'm about as subtle as a bull in a china closet - - - so don't hold your breath, you know how THAT goes.


Mr. Squirrel also found the B & B. He tried every angle he could think of to climb right down onto the feeders.

But Fisherhubby is smarter than the average squirrel and used fishing line to suspend the feeders from the supporting branch. Fishing line is nearly invisible and far too thin for Mr. Squirrel's toes to grip.


So Mr. Squirrel has had to content himself with the scraps which Ma and Pa Goldfinch fling to the ground for him.


Not to worry, Ma and Pa are expert flingers so Mr. Squirrel is NOT going hungry.


While Fisherhubby was hanging feeders, he took a little break and put Waldo back where he belongs on the patio light fixture.

Evidently Waldo does not LIKE living atop the light fixture. Evidently he prefers to be a bottom dweller, because even before the very next morning broke, he had returned to his favorite roost on the patio.


Before he could be forcibly evicted from the patio and "tied" back up in the heavenly realms where he belongs SOMEONE came by and moved in, lock, stock, nesting material, and all!!

Fisherhubby and I had a little discussion about what kind of a feathered friend had chosen to grace us with her nest. FH said right away that it was Mama Robin - - - I was holding out for something more exotic, like Ma and Pa Goldfinch.


It didn't take very long until we were able to creep silently up to the patio door, press our faces tightly against it, and get THIS silhouette view of - - -


Mama Robin. RATS! Fisherhubby is ALWAYS right.


Mama Robin is pretty patient with us. If we stay indoors and remain calm in her presence, she will hop around eying us to make sure we aren't up to no good.

But if we open the patio door - - - she flies away squawking like a plucked chicken.

Maybe that's because FH has already stuck his great big paws INTO her nest to see if there are any eggs there.

Shame on him!


Meanwhile - - - Mr. Squirrel discovered Waldo. I thought at first they were going to become fast friends - - -


But THAT was not to be, mostly because Mr. Squirrel thinks Waldo is a source of SOME kind of nutrient. I can't figure out what vitamin or mineral of squirrely value is found in plastic - - - but I've had to chase Mr. Squirrel away from Waldo numerous times and still he returns to gnaw some more.

Poor Waldo is getting worse for the wear.

And that's all the news that is news here at the Back Forty.

.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post made me so happy
I feed my squirrels we have a black one that usually you would see in the mountains here but the rest are brown and i just love them so much
i also have 2 bluebirds that come to visit when i have food in the feeder.
ours are brown squirrels and yours look grey

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Lots of eaten and baby making going on in your neck of the woods!

Kari said...

I like this post. You got some great shots of that squirrel. How cute!

Unknown said...

I hope Mrs. Robin let you know that she can be very protective once the eggs come and that she may be a resident for several nestfuls this summer! And you only THINK you've heard squawking! Wait until feeding time. What joy awaits you! One year we had three batches (what does one call a nest of eggs/hatchlings?)

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

those darn squirrels! Your so lucky to have some yellow finches!

Lynn said...

Hey!!! I don't see any of the S Word on the ground! Just green! Hooray! I think Mrs. Robin looks positively regal with her red breast!
I agree with you on your reaction to the partying over the death of osama even though he was hated, he should have had a trial. Now we have ticked the enemy off as well as stooping to their level.
Somehow I missed the reason why you call that lamp lid Waldo. ??

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Great pics and story too Keetha!
Oh I am so darn happy that we are finally getting spring! I just saw dandelions in my yard and now I am happy! lol.
Hugs,
Cindy

Kim Sue said...

Looks a lot spring!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I see green grass and fat chipmunks! Those goofy squirrels will gnaw on the darnedest things. I didn't realize that fishing line on the feeders would prevent the squirrels from getting to the food. I should tell my momma.

RuthnJasper said...

WOW - those are FANTASTIC pictures, Keetha, and lovely to have your beautiful prose to accompany them. We don't have chipmunks here in England (unless you count Chip 'n' Dale in a cartoon) - sooo cute! And I THINK I spotted a House Sparrow in one of your pics!

We feed the birds in our garden - Jasper has a good recipe for a make-at-home bird seedcake if you want it!

Hope all is well with you and your hunky FH - and especially our bear friends. xxx

Theresa said...

Lots of great nature pics from the back forty:) Love bird watching and the squirrel trick by FH to keep them out of the bird food is pretty smart! Tell him I said so! Hope you have a great Saturday and a wonderful Mother's Day! HUGS from Georgia!

Ann in the UP said...

I wonder if your squirrel thinks he'll get to the good stuff if he chews through Waldo. We have chipmunks as a rule, but this year there are so many cats wandering the neighborhood, snacking that I haven't seen many.
We have blue jays, nuthatches, robins, doves, finches (gold and purple), juncos, sparrows, blackbirds of every sort, thrashers, and the very occasional woodpecker. Oh and a pair of cardinals, too. The doves made a nest on top of our garage door opener one year. That was inconvenient, to say the least. LOL

Moments and Impressions said...

I love that you know your backyard friends so well! Mr. Squirrel is a cutie.