Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

As Paul Harvey Used to Say - - -

.
"Now here's the REST of the story!"
.


The other day I showed you this kitchen footstool that my friend Eloise (pronounced E-Lois) gave me for Christmas.

One of my very wise and astute bloggy readers said, "There has to be MORE to that story" and of course there is.
.
.


Once upon a hot summer's day a long time ago Eloise and I were browsing antique and other novelty shops in Hayward.  And by a long time ago, I of course mean July of this past summer.

I don't know for sure now which of us saw it first, but both of us spied the little blue and white kitchen stool.

I do know this for sure and for certain - - - by the time MY brain processed that little stool and by the time I realized EXACTLY where I wanted to put it in my kitchen and by the time I realized I not only WANTED it but that I actually had a NEED to use it to get into my top cupboards - - - Eloise was already thoroughly studying it with intent to purchase.

I'll tell you girls (and boys if any of the testosterone persuasion are reading this tale) that "thing" that some of us have which makes us loathe to purchase items that we like solely for the joy of owning them does cause us to miss out on some real deals sometimes.

While Eloise studied the stool contemplating purchasing it, I TRIED not to act too much like I wanted that little blue and white stool it myself - - - hovering a little ways away and feigning interest in I know not what 'cause I had ZERO interest in whatever item that may have been.

Sure enough, Eloise decided to buy the stool, she paid the asking price, we loaded it in the car, and away we went.
.
.


From time to time over the rest of the summer months, into fall, and even into the Christmas season, I thought about that little blue and white stool and how USEFUL it would be to me and how well it would look in the spot I had chosen for it.

Sometime during that interval, I began to notice that the stool was conspicuously absent in Eloise's decor.

Hmmmmmm, thought I.   Where is that little blue and white stool?

These thoughts were followed closely by this one:  Could she have gotten that stool for MY Christmas present???

I will confess right here and now that once that thought seized me, I couldn't get away from it.  I would be dragging a chair to the cabinet so I could crawl up on it to put away groceries or dishes on the upper shelves in my kitchen and INVARIABLY I would think of the little blue and white stool and WISH that I had it.

Well - - - when Bill and Eloise came in our door on the night of our Christmas celebration carrying a LARGE object wrapped in a black trash bag and sporting a beautiful  red, gold, and green bow I was positive I was right.

When it finally came time to open our gifts, I even had the GALL to ASK if I could open my stool now.

WHAT STOOL???  said Eloise.

But I could tell by the shocked look on her face that I was exactly right.

And, of course, I was.

Oh but the "journey" made the gift all the better.
.
.

21 comments:

Theresa said...

What a sweet friend to give you the perfect gift:) Have a blessed day, LOVE the stool!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

How blessed you are to have such a sweet friend, one who knows you so well.

Ann in the UP said...

I didn't spit and snort---but I surely did laugh out loud! Bless you Eloise (pronounced E-Lois).

Perfect!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

The 'rest of the story' is the best part!! Love it, the little blue stool and of course your friend Eloise!!
hugs, Linda

shannon i olson said...

hehehe how cute! when my step mom comes to visit, every garage sale is a quiet, stealthy race to see who scores the most! shhh! don't tell her I know

Sandy said...

Oh, Keetha, you are too funny...So, you were the first to have coveted that wonderful stool...now I don't feel soooo bad....LOL
And, have a Blessed Christmas...enjoy that stool...
Love from NC

tinajo said...

Aww, that´s a good friend! :-)

Lady Jane said...

Hi Keetha, you know the one that has the cat named Badger... It has been a while since I visited. Too long to go into but wanted to visit and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas. I love the story about the stool, too funny.

Brenda said...

What a friend! That makes the stool all the more special, even though you had to wait several more months to get it. I love all the little things I've collected through the years, inconsequential to someone else maybe, but for me I know it has a story. I may not know it, but it's fun to think about it and wonder.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that stool! That E-Lois is quite a friend!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh what a great story Keetha! And even better since I met your partner in crime (I mean shopping) and could just picture the whole thing.
Snow is coming my dear. There are even blizzard warnings south of LaX from Viroqua and south of there. 6-12" for us.
I think you will be shoveling!
Hugs and Merry Christmas,
Cindy

Barb said...

That is an awesome story! Funny, too. Eloise sure knows you, doesn't she?

Erin said...

That is a great story to accompany that cutie pie blue stool!

kyooty said...

My Mom had a red "leather?" and silver stool like this called a telephone stool.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is a great story and I just had to laugh because I have a habit of daydreaming like that.
Glad your thoughts rang true!

nancygrayce said...

How wonderful that she is so intuitive and knows what you would love to have! I am still playing catch up and haven't read too many posts! I'm so lame!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

aren't you a lucky one!! Merry Christmas!

Powdered Toast Man said...

I love a good stool story.

Beth said...

What a neat story! Bet you were doing the happy dance, Keetha!

podso said...

That is a hysterical story! What a tale! Funny you had that thought and were so sure! I have an angel story sort of like that. Well your stool looks very at home there, where it was meant to be all along!

Vidya Sury said...

I love your friend Eloise! I would have done exactly the same thing...in fact I have, several times, for my best friend. Isn't it glorious! I know what you mean by the "journey"! I am so glad you received the stool! It is pretty!