Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Betty Boop In My City

.

Around my city you will find continuous references to Betty Boop.


Some of them LARGE ones - - - like this full size doll - - -


Which can be found in our County Historical Museum.

I do not remember hearing about Betty Boop when I was growing up in this city, so I was puzzled by the proliferation of all things Boop upon moving back here.

I have since used my bloodhound skilz to sniff out the cause - - -


The artist who created Miss Boop, Grim Natwick, was born and raised right here.

Natwick is an American rendition of his Norwegian family name, Natvig. His grandparents, Ole and Anna Natvig immigrated here from Norway in 1847.

Grim was a nickname given to him in his high school days as a take off on his "anything but grim" personality. His actual first name was Myron. I think I'd go by Grim too under those circumstances!


Grim created the sexy Miss Boop during his time working for Fleischer Studios,


But he also worked for many other studios, including Walter Lantz and Walt Disney, where he had a large "hand" in the animation of many movie characters over his long career.


Grim died in Los Angeles, California shortly after celebrating his 100th birthday with family and friends.

The black and white sketch above is a self portrait caricature. The Micky Mouse and Mr. Magoo plates are pieces of his work on their animations. He was also the lead animator for "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"

Oh, and this "ain't" no APRIL FOOLS either.

;-)

Thanks to Unknown Mami for hosting
"Sundays in My City"
To which I am linking this post

.

23 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

That's interesting!

podso said...

History is really interesting! Enjoyed your little wedding entertainer as well.

Tara R. said...

Thanks for the history lesson, it was very entertaining. Grim was a very talented artist and involved in so many iconic American cartoon characters.

Wayne W Smith said...

I always liked Betty Boop....

Unknown said...

Grim, eh? He was anything but grim, indeed. Enjoyed the history lesson.

Ann in the UP said...

Interesting indeed.
I like Betty Boop too, especially her little voice.

Grim----I'd prefer Myron. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

Anonymous said...

For awhile ol' Betty had made quite the resurgence. Fun photos.

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting! Thank you for posting this and that picture of Mr. Magoo - I hadn't seen him in forever. Have a great week.
Helena from PinkGuayoyo

From the Kitchen said...

I like Grim better than Myron too! Loved the story. I had no idea that "Betty" was a Wisconsin girl.

Best,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Very interesting info.

StarTraci said...

Wow! I love the Boop-doop-be-doop! And he was the lead animator of Snow White -- what an artist!

:-)
Traci

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This was an interesting and fun post, Keetha. He was a creative genius. And I'd go with Grim too, if my name was really Myron.

xoRobyn

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love Betty Boop! What a fun fact to know the creator of this cartoon character! Fun!

Anonymous said...

From Norway, almost our neighbor country :)
This reminds me how many people from Scandinavia moved to US those days...

Raymonde said...

What a good looking man! Thanks for sharing this piece of knowledge.

Hi Keetha, thanks for stopping by and commenting, sorry you did not find the previous reference about the eggs, it was posted on a previous Scavenger Hunt on Sunday. They are all over London for Easter, later will be sold at auction
to raise money for various causes, one of them Elephants in the wild. Out of 204, I have managed to photograph 89!

Have a great week. :)

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

How absolutely fascinating. Don't you just love finding out fun things like that about your own town. Keetha - you asked me about why the neighborhood was called the Tenderloin. Even way back in the 1800s it was a rough part of town. The police were given extra pay if they worked that particular beat. With the extra pay they were able to afford the better cuts of meat at the grocery store i.e. "tenderloin".

Vidya Sury said...

So very delightful! I loved this! "Grim" is obviously celebrity. I must find my Betty Boop Tshirt. :D. I am sure have it stashed away somewhere.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Very cool and interesting post Keetha!
I had no idea about that!
Yesterday hubby and I were all ready to take a little ride over to see you. And then, I couldn't find your phone number. Can you e-mail me it when you get a chance.
Hugs,
Cindy

SixBalloons said...

Don't you just love those Mickey mouse hand sketches? Lovely!

nancygrayce said...

I love that! I never knew who created Betty Boop! We have a neighbor that we call Betty Boop.....This was extremely interesting! Thanks!

Claudya Martinez said...

Betty is so iconic. I never once stopped to wonder who created her.

MamaTim said...

Betty is known everywhere on earth, a symbol of successful independent woman. Thanx for the info, I just learned a great many things from this post..