Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Friday, April 15, 2011

No Rules (but one) Linky Party Friday

.

Today I am reposting something from several months ago in order to join up with the "No Rules But One" Linky party over at Wit Behind the Ears. (Since there are no rules but one and "no reposting" ain't that rule, I'm allowed!)

Well, so Anna doesn't have the "No Rules But One" linky party up and running yet - - - but I'm like 63.4% (We interrupt this broadcast for a special bulletin from your blogging network - - - the "No Rules But One" Linky is now up and running over at Wit.) sure she'll get it up and running SOMETIME today so you can check for the links like later. Over and out.


A Tale of Indian Trees and Forget-Me-Nots

Once upon a time, a long long time ago when the Earth was young and so was I, my parents decided it was time to buy a set of china.

In our fair little town there was a jewelry store - Jacobson's Jewelry - which was owned and operated by Marie and Halger Jacobson, proud Swedes, who also just happened to be members of the church where my dad was the pastor. Jacobson's was a jewelry store by name, but by wares it was much more. Besides jewelry it offered the finest in watches, figurines, and china.

It was to Jacobson's that my parents went to pick their china pattern.


Mom preferred Johnson Brothers Indian Tree Ironstone.


She felt it was practical - - - of a heavy enough weight to be useful for every day and pretty enough for entertaining. She also liked the variety of sizes and shapes of bowls it had to offer.


Dad preferred Haviland Forget-Me-Nots. It was clearly fine china and besides, our last name was Heavilin which is very close to Haviliand. (Later the genaeologists in the family discovered the names are indeed linked.)

I remember that my parents returned home to debate their choice. There was precious little need for this debate - - - dad always yielded to mom's wishes in such matters.

And so it was that a few days later the Indian Trees came home to roost in our china cabinet.

Months passed and the great china debate was forgotten by all. All that is except Marie. Marie knew that dad's Forget-Me-Not choice was by far the finer china. Her heart, which loved all the finest of things, ached to see him give up his Haviland china in deference to his wife's wishes.

Thus it was that on Christmas Eve there came a knock on the parsonage door. When the door was opened, in sailed Marie with several elegantly wrapped large gift boxes in her hands. As she placed them beneath the tree, she smiled at my dad and said, "This is for your SECOND wife." And with a wink and a grin she was gone.

The boxes contained a complete set of the Forget-Me-Nots.

They became our Sunday Best China and the Indian Tree our every day.


Several years ago, when my dad began to thin out his personal possessions he gave me the Haviland Forget-Me-Nots and Sister Pam adopted the Indian Trees. When Fisherhubby and I moved here last fall, Dad boxed up the Forget-Me-Nots - - -


And sent them here to live on the middle shelf of my china cabinet. You can see them there, tucked in behind the Wedgewood.


I love their transluscent daintiness.


I love their sensuous twists and curves.


I love their gold edgings and fine details.


But most of all, I love the story they have to tell.

(Photo Credit: the photos of the Indian Tree China came from various web pages where they are being sold.)

.

13 comments:

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I LOVE this story! and these are also two of my VERY FAVORITE Dish Companies...Johnson Bros has something for everyone and I use mine everyday... AND what is not to love about Haviland limoges. You are SUCH A LUCKY Girl to have these...I REALLY LOVE the pattern. How apropos for these dishes to have the name "Forget me Not"... I am definitely going to be piecing together a teaset for "Moi"!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs,
Donna

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I remember this post and this wonderful story! Always good to read again! hugs, Linda

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I enjoyed your parents chinas story and taste... as I love, love both china sets, I also like both china companies, everything they have made is beautiful. So glad you got the Havilland, though. We too, 36 years ago, bought our dear Italian Tognana set at the most beautiful and famous jewelry shop and my first crystal cake dish with stand from Germany, yes, small towns had I guess this custom. Thank you for sharing.
HUGS
FABBY

xinex said...

What a beautiful post, Keetha. The china, both patterns are gorgeous. SO lucky of you to inherit the forget me nots. I love the shape too, so delicate...Christine

Ann in the UP said...

Oh, these little memory tests. You are a sly one!

Anonymous said...

I like the ones your daddy likes the best

TS Hendrik said...

I can see why your dad liked that set so much. Those are really elegant.

Keetha said...

And what a great story it is. I love that! It looks like the pretty, delicate china is right at home. :-)

CorruptCamel.com said...

That China set you inherited is very nice. I would like to have a suit designed with the same pattern. I would wear it everywhere. Man, would I look good.

Gwen@ChewDigestBooks.com said...

What a great story and I lurve how you and your sister didn't have to "fight" over who got what. There were two!

We got our china set from the Sphinx's mom with much less of a pretty story. You see, when we moved, I set the box of our china on the flat-top stove. Which then blew up, throwing my dishes willy nilly everywhere. His mom donated her set so we could stop eating off of paper plates!

Jessica said...

What a great story! Makes me want to get my china out and have a fancy dinner.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I LOVE your stories! What treasures, the stories and the items!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Keetha! I was very excited to have found your comment on my blog today!

Yes, that is certainly Forget Me Nots in the hutch. Like you, I have many pieces. These belonged to my grandmother. I love how they are hand painted - it is fun to compare like pieces and notice the subtle differences. They are super special.

Your hutch is far more formal than me and neater, too. :)

I look forward to getting to know you better and glad we have found one another.

Happy blogging! Kelly

unDeniably Domestic