Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Do You Know The Way - - -

.

To pronounce the name of this park?

Let's play a little "pronounce that name" game, OK? Leave your suggested pronunciation in my comments.

No, I absolutely do NOT promise not to laugh if your entry is funny - - - that's all part of playing this game. But you won't hear me laugh anyway, so what difference will it make?

HOWEVER - - - if you are really UP on your Indiana history, and you KNOW FOR SURE how to pronounce it - - - send me an e-mail instead of putting it in the comments. (keepiedaniece (at) yahoo.com) Let's not ruin it for "the rest of us."

WARNING: If you live in Indiana and THINK you know how to pronounce the name of this park - - - be very careful - - - most Hoosiers pronounce it WRONG. In fact, there are two popular Hoosier pronunciations - - - both equally incorrect. MOST of the DNR employees at Ouabache State Park pronounce it wrong.

I'll give you one big huge gigantic hint: It is a FRENCH word.

I'll post the answer in a few days.

OK - - - guess away!!!

.

10 comments:

J.J. said...

hubby's guess is "Wah-bah-shey"

:)

mrsmomma said...

Hmmm I've heard of this lovely place before...and it's definitely one those tricky things. I will say it was originally named by the Miami Indians...the French just didn't feel like they liked the name I guess and changed it to something they thought was easier. Can't wait for people to know what it really is. It's shocking.

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Well, OK. You know I'm a born Hoosier, but I've never heard of this park. If it's French, it would be "wa-BOSH," but people handily butcher French words when they become Anglicized, so, hmm. This of course sounds a lot like Wabash. So maybe this is a trick question! Hee hee!

Jojo said...

Stump the readers...hmmm...okay....we-ba-she.

Ann said...

OK, I'm not a Hoosier, but we in Michigan don't always pronounce things the French way. I present to you-----"Detroit". So my guess would be "Wabash".

Ann in the UP

Cass @ That Old House said...

Well, we lived for awhile in Pittsburgh, a part of the world where the town of "Versailles" was pronounced "Ver-sales" and "Dubois" was "Doo-boys" so .... I'm thinking that "Ourbache" is pronounced "Throatwarblermangrove."

Close?

Actually I should email you cause I do know how to pronounce it. Do I win a million dollars? I could use that.

Cass

Patti said...

Wabash...wabashee...My aunt used to live on a lake titled:
Chargogagogmanchogagogchunbunagungabog
true story...in Massachusetts and the locals call it Webster Lake...means "you fish on your side, I'll fish on my side and no one will fish in the middle"

Just Breathe said...

I don't know. I just came to read what others guessed :)

shannon i olson said...

oooh fun! hmm how about
ow-ba-she
guaranteed to be wrong cuz I have a knack for saying things wrong!!

Kirby3131 said...

ahh heck I have no idea, but I'm still laughing over Patti's comment! "THe locals call it Webster Lake." hahahahahaha