Many of you have asked where in the world I've been.

All I know is that after 7 plus years of blogging and a different lappy, which I don’t like, I seem to have lost my blogging fervor.

Someday, when you least expect it, I will post again.

For those of you still waiting I say thank you.

Meanwhile, I am rather prolific on twitter. Find me: @KeethaB
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Eclectic Company - Waitin' on a New Adventure!!
.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight!

.

Living on the edge of the Great Northern Coniferous Forest where the arctic gales howl and the temperatures have trouble crawling up out of the low teens made me LONG for a fireplace.

Well, I'm NOT going to be installing a real fireplace - - - wood or gas - - - here in a rental duplex. So, I thought about a portable electric fireplace. I've seen them with a lovely mantle and everything!!! And if I got one of those - - - I could put my Christmas village up on the mantle.

Then I googled and saw their price.

Ouch.


Then the other day, while cruising through the Big "W" I met THIS little electric Franklin stove. I turned it on right there in the store and it looked real (enough), kicked out lovely hot air, AND the price was right - a fraction of those big boy fireplaces.

It came home with me and moved right into the FBC (football cave for those of you who don't happen to be regulars over here.)

It doesn't provide me with mantle space - - - but I've also solved that problem rather thriftily. However that isn't about being hot in the old town so you'll have to wait for a later post to see THAT.

Next issue was doing something about the cold "drafts" that I felt on my skin as I sat here at my lappy or even worse when I got in and out of my car going around and about town in balmy 7* weather.



I got some of these. Have you TRIED them???? If you live where there is an arctic blast goin' on - - - you NEED some of these. (Right Tonja??? I was already working on this post when I saw YOURS last night! Great minds think alike.)


This particular pair is festive and fun - - - of course it will be hidden under my OTHER clothing items. Oh TRUST me, I shall NOT be showing any lumpy bumpy pictures of me in JUST this.


They make them in "dressier" shades of white and black too.

Besides being really warm they are soft, lightweight, and thin - just like an extra layer of skin. You don't feel bulky wearing them.

That still didn't solve the issue of frozen ankles. Let me tell you - - - when arctic air creeps up under the cuff of your pants it's "bad news bears" for your ankles!



That's when I found THESE!!! Socks to stay home in. Only I ain't just stayin' home in them!!! No sirreee Bob - - - THESE puppies are on my feet under my jeans no matter where I go!


I got a little variety. They are silky soft and furry warm. There's NOTHING like a -15* day to knock the fashion sense right out of you!


What am I talkin' about - - - I think I AM stylin'.

I didn't say WHAT style.

OK - - - now we're ready for the piece de resistance of this post.

Some of you implored me to get something better than hubby's old Birkenstocks to wear when shoveling snow.


VOILA!!!

Look at THESE big-butt-kickin' bad boys!!! (Thanks to niece Misti for the lovely mode of display idea)



They come up mid-calf, promise to keep my feet warm down to -40*, and have plenty of room inside for my "stay-at-home" socks!


They even have heavy duty traction on the soles to help keep me upright on the ice.

So come on Mr. Winter - - - give me your best shot! I've gotcha covered. I'm READY for a hot time in the old town tonight!

.

16 comments:

Tonja said...

Yes, Mam! Don't expect me to ever go out in the 'cold' with out them.

I guess you get used to having this weather for a long period of time. But, it is a big shock for us! It should only be around 65-70 degrees here. We don't usually get our cold weather until Jan. and Feb.

Oh, well, it is what it is! Stay warm! Thanks for the link!

Theresa said...

My Sister has that little fireplace and it works good to keep you toasty warm! You are ready for the COLD weather with all of your GEAR! Enjoy your day and stay warm, YOU HOT MAMA:) HUGS!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love your little 'fireplace' great idea. I've worn the cuddles before when I was up north, not so much of a need for them here in Georgia (even if it is really cold these days). Love the stay at home socks but my fav are the kickin butt boots! Oh yes, you go girl. Old Man Winter has not got you beat that's for sure.

Angie said...

Great little fire (or should I say "GRATE"? We have a gas fireplace as well as the gas central heating but the fire nearly blew Keith's head off other day SO.....we'r getting a posh one end of Jan. Pictures will be posted!

We're about to get our second wave of snow and ice but from what I see on the News Wisconsin is far worse. Glad you have those winter warmers. I'm a lumpy 3 sweater woman but the thermal underwear is calling. Where's your hat?

Unknown said...

Love your little fire! And I was wondering till you explained if you were going to First Baptist Church (FBC ;)) I'm getting a breather and catching up on blogland. I've missed you! And I see you're getting a workout without working out! Love it!

Erin said...

Going to have to look for some Cuddl Duds - those sound wonderful. And your new boots look much more fitting for shoveling than the Birks!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looks like you are all set for winter now! Those boots are wonderful and the socks should keep you very toasty along with those Cuddl Duds. Funny, I was taking a picture the other day of my pedicured toes with snowmen on them! Big difference. Stay warm and cozy. Oh I almost forgot about the Franklin Stove, I love it!

Ann in the UP said...

Well, Snow Baby, you are definitely stylin'now! Seeing how we all wear multi-layers for six months of the year, perhaps southern folk can see how we get so lumpy and chubby on brats and beer (not Keepie---the rest of us) since nobody can see our bodies anyway.

Brenda said...

I'm serious when I say I feel so much better knowing you are safe from falling on your booty (more than once)with your new butt-kickin' bad boys out there in the strasida, stradis...be right back...Sastrugi (had to go look it up in your other post!)

My daughter got me 3 pairs of the socks like yours for Christmas and I think, next to my ipod shuffle, they are the best thing since sliced bread. I love them!

Holly said...

Ahhhh.... Makes me want to cozy up too, especially after reading about those socks, but it got warm again here. I know the cool weather has to come back sometime....

LV said...

I am an authority on cuddles. Almost wear them the year round. I guess my veins are filled with ice water. I like the little stove you bought.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna check out those cuddle duds. Boy, you're all ready for all the sastrugi!

Kristin - The Goat said...

Stay at home socks - what a hoot. I love your new boots. I can imagine that they will be put to good use.

It's funny, I have assembled a little collection of warm gear just to go home for 5 days.

Kristin - The Goat

j said...

I have been SO cold this year! I threw away all of my sweaters and robes when we moved to south Alabama. Our new house is drafty and lately I just can't get warm! I am going to take your advice and buy some cuddle duds.

I've missed you. I can't get caught up tonight but I will try to read more soon.

Vickie said...

So glad you're keeping warm! Steve's dad bought us a heater this year for Christmas and gave it to us a little early and we are loving it. its called and edenpure heater Paul Harvey endorses them so you know they've got to be good. They're not as pretty as yours but it keeps us warm.

KathyB. said...

Perfect post for the cold winter days , warms me just reading about them. Well, for a few seconds anyway. Now I am off to turn on the electric heater before I read anymore blogs.